Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2012, 01:36 PM
Rookie

Default Video card not detected

Hello, I am really frustrated right now as this problem has been going on for weeks now.

On August 20th I packed away my computer to ship to Thunder Bay from Toronto. I eventually got it on the 28th (it was shipped on the 23rd). I happily plugged everything in however, my monitor was saying no signal detected, and additionally, my resolution was terrible. So I looked in control panel and my graphics card was not being recognized.

So before I go on my system specs are as follows.

Intel i52500k
ASUS P8Z68 v pro
Sapphire HD6950
OCZ 850w Gold PSU
8 gigs of ram
Corsair 128gb SSd
500gb hd

The cards fan was still spinning when plugged into the PSU so I was scratching my head as to what the problem was. I tried everything I found in other threads, reseating the card, putting it into different slots, reseting cmos, removing the battery on the mobo, making sure that pcie/pci was the process being booted up instead of the onboard GPU. None of this works so I figured the card was dead. Since I did not have another pc to use my gfx card on I ordered a cheap Powercolour HD5450.

I waited around for the card and when it finally arrived I slotted it in...and voila the card was detected! So it was my 6950 that was dead afterall! Alright then I said, I will just get another card and be on my way.

Today I got in my XFX 7870, slotted it in..and again no signal detected and the card was not being read. The fans were spinning so the card was getting power like the 6950 was. Now I am doubting if it was my 6950 that was dead but now I have no idea what is wrong. Is it the PSU? Mobo? Aliens?

Please help!
Old September 6, 2012, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Possible that it's the PSU or at least part of it.... you should have gotten power adapters for molex-pci..
try one or 2 of those instead of the proper ones and see if it makes a difference.

When shipping a computer I would always say to remove any heavy objects from the case (heatsink and graphics card) as a jolt can damage connections / break stuff etc very easily..

Also check that all other connections are secure(all power, sata etc etc.. just give it all the once-over) and then look at drivers..

If none of these work there are a couple of possibilities, PSU being one.. Replacing it is the only real option for testing though..
Maybe there are members here that are local to you and would be willing to help out..
Old September 6, 2012, 04:27 PM
Rookie

Unfortunately I do not have any of the extra connectors or adapters as they are at home in Toronto. It was suggested to me by someone else and by you as well that I should basically take everything apart and reassemble it outside the tower on a non conductive surface. This will also help me go through all the parts and see if there was any damage. I failed to mention in my OP that I do have a Coolermaster fan on the CPU, which would add bulk and weight.

And just to be clear I am currently using said computer, the on board graphics is the only thing that is detected unless I use that 5450
Old September 6, 2012, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

None came with the 7870?

Considering the only things not working are high-performance GPU's.. I would have to say driver / pci-e slot / PSU problem off the top of my head..

I've no idea if there is any computer shops near you..
but if you still can't find anything wrong without replacing the PSU and there is no-one you know with a modern pc around or forum members that would be willing to help
then it may be worth contacting a store and asking if they would test if your PSU was working or better a new / known to be working PSU on your rig..
Old September 6, 2012, 04:51 PM
Rookie

No nothing came with the 7870 except a crossfire connection. Xfx really skimped out..I'll look into shops but I am not familiar with the area since I just got here to Thunder Bay basically.
Old September 6, 2012, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Not to sound too basic if you know what you are doing, but did you plug the PCIE power connectors to the graphics cards (5450 doesn't have any, but the other two do). If you have then I would guess its a power supply issue.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old September 6, 2012, 05:55 PM
Rookie

Correct, I did. I even tried using the other pcie power slots on the psu but it didnt help