Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2012, 05:17 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Multiple Different Blue Screens

Hello everyone,

tl:dr will be at the bottom of the post.

I was stupid and overtaxed my machine several months ago (F@H + steam game installing + streaming south park) and got a blue screen of death. Ever since then I have had off and on problems with said blue screens without being able to figure out a specific trigger. There have been blue screens during games, while browser surfing, and even while simply idling after a fresh boot. Watching videos seems to trigger it more often then not but it is maybe 60% of the blue screens and likely a glitchy Silverlight plays a part.

I did not have many issues with them for a few months but now it is firing up again. I just ran memtest84 again and it was on for 24hrs did 11 passes and had no errors at all. Prime95 also stress tested for a solid 3+ hours before that and no issues were noted. Temperatures have all been fine (Under 45C at all times) despite a very warm environment. This leads me to believe it is a software issue but none of the fixes found via google trolling for forum posts have worked or been pertinent. Can anyone help me out?

Also of note is that Windows updater encounters an unknown error and won't check for updates sometimes or has issues applying them. The fixes on the Microsoft site did nothing to help.

After posting I will go into my dump files and post the error codes.

tl:dr I am blue screening like crazy with no discernible cause other than the error codes they give. My hardware appears to be fine after testing and temperatures are good. I can not find any software fixes that did any fixing. Please help! After posting I will go into my dump files and post the error codes.
Old September 2, 2012, 05:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you've tested the hardware and can't find a culprit, why not just do a fresh windows install? Backup your steam games and/or media and away you go.

The days of 5 hour OS installs are long gone, why beat your head against the wall?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 2, 2012, 05:36 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

*Sigh* I'm just about at that point I just really despise having to activate everything again. Always a pain in the butt and it's never the same way...

Trying one more fix I found and if there aren't any more suggestions here by that time I might just go with the fresh install.

Now I just have to find that disk... >.<
Old September 2, 2012, 10:05 PM
Top Prospect

Before biting the bullet on that clean install, drop your OS disc in the optical drive and try a repair installation first. A clean install will likely be required, but it's worth trying.
Old September 2, 2012, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

mitw be a bad cable on HDD/SSD power or data
Old September 6, 2012, 04:13 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the help guys, I had to do a fresh install for it to correct itself but now it is working well and has had no issues in 4-5 days.
Old September 6, 2012, 05:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninstrikr View Post
Thanks for the help guys, I had to do a fresh install for it to correct itself but now it is working well and has had no issues in 4-5 days.

That sometimes can be the simplest thing to do. When I get hard to pin down issues I go with OS install.

Good to see you are all well again,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com