Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

Default not PS, but now random restarts ?

So, earlier yesterday I had my pc just randomly shut off/reboot while on skype with a friend ... then when trying to encode a movie in windows movie maker it occured once again ... then again .... then on reboot I started hearing a loud buzzing sound that sounded like from the ps itself ... I then took vacume exaust & shot it thru the intake n exaust of it & the problem went away. I then just abit before posting this heard it doin so for a brief second.

PS is less then 2 yrs old & as seen in my signature.

PS going? or just dust buildup/heat causing it ?

thanks

Last edited by terrybear; September 15, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old September 2, 2012, 10:44 PM
Banned

Now after watching a few clips over mozilla my system just goes ... bloop & restarts itself ... seems to be very random & windows doesnt report a error.
Old September 2, 2012, 10:50 PM
Allstar

Are you sure the buzzing is from the PSU? If it's buzzing then I would pull it and RMA the unit before it blows up. IMO, the constant power off and power on may burn out other stuff. Window didn't report an error as in it doesn't say it shut down improperly or nothing in logs?
Old September 3, 2012, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Are you sure the buzzing is from the PSU? If it's buzzing then I would pull it and RMA the unit before it blows up. IMO, the constant power off and power on may burn out other stuff. Window didn't report an error as in it doesn't say it shut down improperly or nothing in logs?
Windows doesnt record a log of anything & just gives me the windows has shutdown abnormaly .. but doesnt log what made it shut down.

Yeah worst part about the ps is i dont have the cash for a replacement in the meantime .. Not even shure what corsairs rma in/from canada's like ...
Old September 3, 2012, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
So, earlier yesterday I had my pc just randomly shut off/reboot while on skype with a friend ... then when trying to encode a movie in windows movie maker it occured once again ... then again .... then on reboot I started hearing a loud buzzing sound that sounded like from the ps itself ... I then took vacume exaust & shot it thru the intake n exaust of it & the problem went away. I then just abit before posting this heard it doin so for a brief second.

PS is less then 2 yrs old & as seen in my signature.

PS going? or just dust buildup/heat causing it ?

thanks
Sounds to me like there's something stuck in there. If running a blower through your PSU worked temporarily,it would appear the problem is a clogged PSU fan etc. Take the PSU out and give it a good clean to get rid of any dust or piece of lint that may be stuck in there. Also check to make sure the fan guard is not rubbing against the PSU fan. While you're in your case,do a clean of all fans and air intake/outake vents.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old September 3, 2012, 08:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Download "whocrashed" its a great app for logging if a program crashed.
If it logs nothing, then I would suspect something perhaps along the lines of your PSU. But As previously stated there are other things that can buzz (basically anything with a Power choke or coil on it can).

Clean it all out ,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 3, 2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Sounds to me like there's something stuck in there. If running a blower through your PSU worked temporarily,it would appear the problem is a clogged PSU fan etc. Take the PSU out and give it a good clean to get rid of any dust or piece of lint that may be stuck in there. Also check to make sure the fan guard is not rubbing against the PSU fan. While you're in your case,do a clean of all fans and air intake/outake vents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Download "whocrashed" its a great app for logging if a program crashed.
If it logs nothing, then I would suspect something perhaps along the lines of your PSU. But As previously stated there are other things that can buzz (basically anything with a Power choke or coil on it can).

Clean it all out ,

-ST

thanks for the responces so far

Yes I dont think my hardware's pushing it past any limits would it? I think i planned it out abour right.

I havent had it do any "buzzing" since & in the last 24 hrs since I gave it a blow out while installed it only did the reboot thing once.

I am curious if the case mesh in the base of this case is obstructing airflow into it to maybe heat up? Then I futher wonder what is my best action removing the case mesh filter on the bottom or just simply 180 it that the intake of air is coming from inside the case ..
Old September 3, 2012, 01:34 PM
Allstar

IMO, the mesh wouldn't cause buzzing sound but you need the mesh to avoid excess dust ingestion. Could it be the fan bearing failing or the fan itself dying?
Old September 3, 2012, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
IMO, the mesh wouldn't cause buzzing sound but you need the mesh to avoid excess dust ingestion. Could it be the fan bearing failing or the fan itself dying?
I do notice it tends to not move as much air as I thought it would but i cant confirm if the fan spins or not ... I know since blowing it out it seems to have more air moving from the back of it ..

Anyways gonna pull it out & give it a cleaning now ... will update from there.
Old September 3, 2012, 05:49 PM
Banned

well, totaly blew it out seemed like a few flecks flew out .. blew out where it sits n again ... so far so good .. :)