Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Charge battery outside laptop/ splice power to battery contact (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/56448-charge-battery-outside-laptop-splice-power-battery-contact.html)

clone63 August 31, 2012 11:54 AM

Charge battery outside laptop/ splice power to battery contact

The story short of my request is this: Blinking charger, known working, DC jack didn't fix.. now what

The laptop will not take power beyond the jack. I have no way of diagnosing where the problem is on the board. I'm only damaging it further by trying to resolder leads to the jack's location.

Does anyone know of a way to either charge the battery outside the laptop or splice in the charger to the battery contacts? I know everything else works because it will work off a charged battery.

Dr_BenD_over August 31, 2012 12:57 PM

Unless the power brick has an output of 7.2 or 3.6V I suspect hooking it directly to a Li-Ion battery would be a bad thing, with lots of fire and exploding. If you take a look at digikeys website they have assorted Li-Ion charger dev. kits (Microchip or TI), one of these could be used to recharge the battery safely. Be prepared to do some technical reading though.

clone63 August 31, 2012 01:06 PM

I'm willing to mangle up a charger for just the battery, but it is very hard to find what chips/parts I will need.

frontier204 August 31, 2012 07:47 PM

Really your best bet is to have the laptop repaired at a shop or buy an external charger for that battery if one exists.

I charged Li-Poly and Li-Ion batteries for my hobby robotics use, and I can tell you it's extremely dangerous to do this without a charger. Search "lipo fire" and view a bunch of videos for your entertainment before attempting anything. For a computer version, see videos of Dell laptops catching fire.

Any of these conditions can cause the battery to melt, catch fire, or explode depending on the battery type:
  • Overvoltage (from charging too long)
  • Overcurrent (from using too much current to charge the battery)
  • Overtemperature (self-explanatory)
  • Mechanical damage (if you attempt to dismantle the battery incorrectly)
  • Short circuit (self-explanatory)
The first two conditions can occur if you pick the wrong charger or have it improperly set up. If you don't know what the above conditions mean, don't try it.

The main issue you'll have with a laptop battery is the safety chip that's in there, which usually tells the laptop an estimate for the charge in the battery and may also prevents things such as short circuit and unapproved methods of charging the battery. If the safety circuit doesn't stop you, jacking your AC adapter into the battery will definitely destroy the battery (at least). If you really want to try charging the battery loose, then use the lithium charger for a radio-controlled airplane. I'm willing to bet that a good charger will cost about as much as a repair however, at about $65.

clone63 September 1, 2012 06:24 AM

I'm not looking to spend much money. Any actually.
Given the volatility of lithium cells then I am moving on to my last endeavor- providing the right current to the battery connectors on the motherboard (11, 7 and 5v I think).
Not sure how to go about that except trying to figure out what I'll need to reduce current coming from the adapter, and which connectors exactly...