Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2012, 06:36 PM
Rookie

Unhappy Crysis 2 on GTX660Ti

Hi to all, Im hoping someone can help me, I have researched this issue on the Web, and found many others having similar problems, just hoping someone has an answer for this one, I recently built a rig as follows: PSU: C-Master 750GX..Intel i5 3570k..Asus P8Z77-M PRO Mobo..MSI GTX660Ti PE...W/Digital 1tb Black 64meg cache Sata 3 running 6gb/sec..Win7 H-Prem 64bit..LG B-Ray Writer + 2ndLG DVD Writer
16 g/b DDR111 1333 Ripjaws. Following clean install of O/S, all updates/patches/ Avast Anti-virus/ latest Flash player/ Adobe Reader/ VLC Media player/ DivX Codecs, AC3 Media codecs/ Latest nVidia Driver dated 08-27-12..Installed a Retail Version of Crysis 2 bought new...genuine serial. Following install I installed latest v1.9 patch..Hi-Res Pack...Tesselation Pack, DX11..etc, not new to this by any means but always willing to learn. Ran the game for first time with all settings Ultra Normal motion blur..and as for V-Sync, during the four or five runs of the game I tried V-Sync on and off, first 10 mins of game could not believe the amazing, smoothe and incredibly detailed play, with features and clarity I have not seen before on previous slower rigs. About 10 mins or so into each run, screen goes black, sound continues but no input possible from k/board or mouse, cold restart required each time. Please Guys anyone have an answer for this one would much appreciate any help. Havent tried Linus adaptive V-Sync trick yet, will post results later when im back at rig.
Old August 30, 2012, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Lots of GTX 660 Ti users having problems with the latest drivers. Rollback to the drivers that came on the CD with your card.

Also, a note about vsync: use a frame-limiter to limit your frame output to 60fps. This will reduce input-lag considerably when using vsync.
Old August 30, 2012, 06:49 PM
Rookie

Default Crysis 2 on gtx660ti

Thanks for quick response Yukontrooper, will give it a go and let you know
Old August 30, 2012, 06:55 PM
Rookie

Default Crysis 2 on gtx660ti

I forgot to also ask if anyone knows is V-Sync even an issue if I am running this on 27 inch LCD TV 1080P using HDMI cable, during previous runs was using Dell 20" LCD PC monitor @ 60Hz. Cheers.
Old August 31, 2012, 08:42 AM
Top Prospect

Hey Pete,
I bought Crysis 2 a few weeks back when steam had it on sale. I am blown away with the graphics, gameplay is not bad. I don't know why it got such bad reviews, probably due to poor textures and no DX 11 support when originally released. I am having fun with this game.

I have not noticed any issues with this game crashing to be honest, I am using the last official Nvidia WHQL drivers and not the latest betas. I suggest that you use the drivers that came with the card to see if they make a difference.

Is your pc overclocked in any way? This may be causing some instabilities.

My suggestions, set PC back to stock settings (if overclocked), install a different set of drivers and when installed set to Nvidia defaults in the Nvidia control panel. See if this works. Also install EVGA precision and log temps, so if the pc crashed on you again you can open up the log and see if the video card is overheating.

Finally as far as Vsync is concerned I use adaptive vsync that I set in Nvidia control panel. I have a pair of GTX 670's and game at 2560x1440. You could try this or even better would be to use Frame Rate Target in Precision as this dynamically adjusts the video clocks to keep framerates where you set them (say 60fps), there will be zero input lag when using Frame Rate Target.
EVGA | Software | EVGA Precision
Good luck.
Old August 31, 2012, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If turning off your overclock fixes the issue then you really need to learn how to overclock right....
Old August 31, 2012, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I miss Crysis 2, I played the game start to finish in a Never released version of the Asus U4XX series during my asus engineer training last summer. Remember loving how the game played between classes and on all my flights world wide :)

It was so well written that it played maxed out even on only a 525GT 2GB GPU at 720P :)

Tags
black screen-with sound , crysis 2 , gtx660ti , help with advice