Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   P4 gateway uses 160watt PS? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/56380-p4-gateway-uses-160watt-ps.html)

Gameman Advanced Kid August 28, 2012 10:41 AM

P4 gateway uses 160watt PS?

is that even possible? my server was running badly and it made me wonder if it was the power supply.

so i took it out and found it only goes up to 160 watts. how is that even possible? even if it used to be used for basic stuff dosent mean it needs this kind of power supply. or does it?

so i replaced the power supply with a 250 watt i found laying around and now its working alot better then it was before. even runs cooler too.

now my question is, why would they put a 160 watt power supply in this computer? can a p4 really run well on a 160 watt or was it just becoming defective?

enaberif August 28, 2012 11:06 AM

Might want to post pics if said power supply.

Gameman Advanced Kid August 28, 2012 12:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
one in the server is the 250 watt power supply (as you can blatantly see)

and the 160 watt is the one on my desk. its awfully quiet and doesnt pull alot of air out. even for basic use thats still not enough to pull the hot air out.

im planning on using a dremel tool on the case so the power supply can fully fit in there.

dandelioneater August 28, 2012 12:56 PM

I'd imagine that a 160W'er would be fine for a P4 and a few drives, it must have been failing. Did you try checking voltages and see if any were out? I'd put it into the recycle regardless:biggrin:

Perineum August 28, 2012 01:34 PM

Sounds like fun:

Quote:

For those who don't recognize the name, Allied is one of a number of different aliases under the umbrella of another company: Deer Computer Co. Ltd. Along with L&C Power and most recently Solytech, Deer has been in the computer SMPS business for years now. Deer's rise to infamy began in the latter part of the 20th century, when reports on internet message boards began to claim that the power supplies oft included with the more bargain basement cases were not only dying in spectacular fashion, they were taking connected components along for the ride.

Gameman Advanced Kid August 28, 2012 02:32 PM

"Sounds like fun":

Quote:
For those who don't recognize the name, Allied is one of a number of different aliases under the umbrella of another company: Deer Computer Co. Ltd. Along with L&C Power and most recently Solytech, Deer has been in the computer SMPS business for years now. Deer's rise to infamy began in the latter part of the 20th century, when reports on internet message boards began to claim that the power supplies oft included with the more bargain basement cases were not only dying in spectacular fashion, they were taking connected components along for the ride.

why do you post this? are you pointing out that i may have a defective power supply? i was actually thinking of getting some allied power supplys since they performed so well for me.

AkG August 28, 2012 02:36 PM

No he is politely saying you got a good chance of having a ticking time bomb ready to go off with the first power ripple....that will probably nuke parts of your rig when it goes BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Learn to take all information as it is meant to be received: as a heads up / you might want to know this about /etc etc.

Gameman Advanced Kid August 28, 2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 651876)
No he is politely saying you got a good chance of having a ticking time bomb ready to go off with the first power ripple....that will probably nuke parts of your rig when it goes BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Learn to take all information as it is meant to be received: as a heads up / you might want to know this about /etc etc.

there are three things that go in my head when you say "BOOOOOOOOOOM"

1. power supply explodes with shrapnel entering my chest going into my heart and then i end up becoming the second tony stark/iron man

2. all the caps on the power supply and motherboard explode

3. everythign in teh computer explodes, fries, or does those two and then catch on fire. with a big explosion.

you know, after hearing about these kinds of things, im kind of doubting the new computer im going to buy....which im still buying. just makes me want to make sure im getting good parts. that wont make a bang so loud it wakes up my dad who is on the other side of the house, or burn, or freeze alot, or make lots of heat.

AkG August 28, 2012 02:59 PM

Until you have seen your first PSU catastrophically fail...you havent lived. :P

Nowadays, PSU's usually wont anything with them....the magic smoke simply escapes as the quality has greatly improved. Your older PSU is not what I personally would consider a quality PSU. Hell even an older SPI / Sparkle unit will only set you back twenty bucks.

The PSU is the one area you DO NOT want to skimp out on. If your budget on a new build cant stretch to include say Corsair VX2 series PSU (under 50 bucks)...you need to reevaluate your budget or your build.

YMMV

Perineum August 28, 2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gameman Advanced Kid (Post 651873)
why do you post this? are you pointing out that i may have a defective power supply? i was actually thinking of getting some allied power supplys since they performed so well for me.

I posted this because they are garbage.

Just buy one of these:

Corsair (except Builder because of lower cost shitty Chinese caps)
Antec (except Basiq because of lower cost shitty Chinese caps)
SilverStone
Seasonic