LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28, 2012, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh and read this:

Allied AL-D500EXP 500W power supply review Review

Quote:
The test five results should give you a pretty good idea why the crossloading tests weren't done. Quite simply, right after test four was begun, after recording the data and scope readings, the Allied exploded. And I'm not talking about the quiet pop of a blown fuse either, this was something to make one holler things like, "Incoming!" "Honey, I'm so scared, what's happening?" and, "You'll never take me alive, coppers!" This was accompanied by a light show to rival the best Hollywood pyrotechnics displays. I distinctly heard Mother Nature yell out, "Now that's not fair, I can do lightning WAY better than that!"
So really, you're never saving money buying a cheap PSU.

All PSUs die, just the cheap ones die sooner and take out expensive parts with them.
Old August 28, 2012, 06:37 PM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Oh and read this:

Allied AL-D500EXP 500W power supply review Review

So really, you're never saving money buying a cheap PSU.

All PSUs die, just the cheap ones die sooner and take out expensive parts with them.
i know that? thanks for the article btw.

so im guessing that this same kind of problem happens in all allied power supplys? the one i have performs so well that it actually looked like i was expensive until i looked at the price (39.99). this power supply was a freebie so no money was lost in obtaining this power supply.

so shoudl i go ahead and buy a good PS off of newegg? i dont need a fancy supply. just a 250 watter that wont blow up on me, fail on me, or any of that. just one that lasts more then 5 years or more at least (by that time, i will have already gotten myself a xeon server)
Old August 28, 2012, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you don't really care about the hardware it's powering just use it and hope for the best.
Old August 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
Gameman Advanced Kid

off to newegg i guess.

thanks for the help guys.
Old August 28, 2012, 07:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ilearned my lesson on psu's about 3 weeks ago, and this was from one of the major players thats also into ssd's in a big way right now. Litterally fubarred 2 640 blacks in my daughters pc, didn't seem to hurt anything else and luckily after some constant nagging by me she had already backed up her music before this happened.
The psu in question wasn't that old but was I''l admit B-stock so the results weren't totally a surprise, but still the old saying my "granny" used to tell me still holds true.."You get what you pay for"!!!
Old August 28, 2012, 08:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameman Advanced Kid View Post
i know that? thanks for the article btw.

so im guessing that this same kind of problem happens in all allied power supplys? the one i have performs so well that it actually looked like i was expensive until i looked at the price (39.99). this power supply was a freebie so no money was lost in obtaining this power supply.

so shoudl i go ahead and buy a good PS off of newegg? i dont need a fancy supply. just a 250 watter that wont blow up on me, fail on me, or any of that. just one that lasts more then 5 years or more at least (by that time, i will have already gotten myself a xeon server)
Even if someone gave me a Free PSU I wouldn't take it unless it was a damn good one.
My Gear, is worth more than a free PSU. I've even downgraded on VC's and CPU's to make sure I get a better PSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howpet View Post
Ilearned my lesson on psu's about 3 weeks ago, and this was from one of the major players thats also into ssd's in a big way right now. Litterally fubarred 2 640 blacks in my daughters pc, didn't seem to hurt anything else and luckily after some constant nagging by me she had already backed up her music before this happened.
The psu in question wasn't that old but was I''l admit B-stock so the results weren't totally a surprise, but still the old saying my "granny" used to tell me still holds true.."You get what you pay for"!!!
3.3v Rail was probably off the scopes, if I had to take a guess. Gotta be FSP too (OCZ) if I had to take a wager. They have lost all my faith for PSU's *Even though now they got good OEM's*.
Thats what bricked 3 SSD's for me, took a while to pin down.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 28, 2012, 08:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Old August 28, 2012, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by howpet View Post
Oh Crappy. I'm over Zealous with my backups.
Old August 29, 2012, 12:26 AM
Gameman Advanced Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Even if someone gave me a Free PSU I wouldn't take it unless it was a damn good one.
My Gear, is worth more than a free PSU. I've even downgraded on VC's and CPU's to make sure I get a better PSU.

3.3v Rail was probably off the scopes, if I had to take a guess. Gotta be FSP too (OCZ) if I had to take a wager. They have lost all my faith for PSU's *Even though now they got good OEM's*.
Thats what bricked 3 SSD's for me, took a while to pin down.

-ST
i should remind you that in my world, that dosent seem to matter. but if it did, it would be in the garage being used on teh older motherboards that use a pentium 2, athlon, and duron.