Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2012, 08:19 PM
Rookie

Default Update! Random reboots + case jostling reboots

Hi guys,

I posted these two threads recently and about a year ago:
Reboot while gaming/video, can trigger reboot by shaking case.
i7, x58, Kernel Power error

I found out that it was caused by my power supply, a PC Power and Cooling Silencer Quad 750W unit. Considering the premium you pay for PCP&C branding, I was really surprised. I was also surprised that the warranty for this thing involves you paying for shipping. Shipping for a 7lb PSU back to the USA is 40 bucks - and they want me to pay for it without guaranteeing that I'll get a warranty (apparantly some cases will void your PSU warranty).

For 40 dollars and the initial premium I paid for this thing - I'm really disapointed. I can't help but feel like I should just drop 80 bucks on some other PSU from Canada Computers or NCIX or something. Any opinions? I already updated my ticket and am requesting a PSU upgrade for the trouble that I'm going through...but I really don't expect to be compensated.

The juicy bit: So when my PSU failed, it apparantly started grounding itself through my case. What that means is that if I take my PSU out of the case and try to start up my computer, I'll hear the whirs of everything starting up, but my motherboard will remain in a dead state. The 7 segment LEDs will NOT light up and nothing will happen. If I put the PSU in the case, the computer will start up. Any jostling of the case disturbs the ground contact between the PSU and the case, thus causing a reboot. Can you believe it? I hardly can.

If you've any opinions or any advice, I'd be glad to hear. I really don't want to pay 40 bucks to ship this brick back.
Old August 25, 2012, 08:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by consid3r View Post
Hi guys,

I posted these two threads recently and about a year ago:
Reboot while gaming/video, can trigger reboot by shaking case.
i7, x58, Kernel Power error

I found out that it was caused by my power supply, a PC Power and Cooling Silencer Quad 750W unit. Considering the premium you pay for PCP&C branding, I was really surprised. I was also surprised that the warranty for this thing involves you paying for shipping. Shipping for a 7lb PSU back to the USA is 40 bucks - and they want me to pay for it without guaranteeing that I'll get a warranty (apparantly some cases will void your PSU warranty).

For 40 dollars and the initial premium I paid for this thing - I'm really disapointed. I can't help but feel like I should just drop 80 bucks on some other PSU from Canada Computers or NCIX or something. Any opinions? I already updated my ticket and am requesting a PSU upgrade for the trouble that I'm going through...but I really don't expect to be compensated.

The juicy bit: So when my PSU failed, it apparantly started grounding itself through my case. What that means is that if I take my PSU out of the case and try to start up my computer, I'll hear the whirs of everything starting up, but my motherboard will remain in a dead state. The 7 segment LEDs will NOT light up and nothing will happen. If I put the PSU in the case, the computer will start up. Any jostling of the case disturbs the ground contact between the PSU and the case, thus causing a reboot. Can you believe it? I hardly can.

If you've any opinions or any advice, I'd be glad to hear. I really don't want to pay 40 bucks to ship this brick back.
PC P&P is was bought out by OCZ and quality went to the crapper. Last good for PC P&P was like 2004 or something.
Old August 25, 2012, 09:27 PM
Allstar

Do you have another PSU to test your computer? I hope it didn't burn out the other parts.
Old August 26, 2012, 07:23 AM
Rookie

My other components are all good, luckily! :)