Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2012, 08:53 AM
Gameman Advanced Kid

i dont know if you have done this already BUT

have you gone to the manufactures website that made your laptop and look for drivers there?

have you gone to AMDs website and download their drivers there?

have you run windows update?

i suggest you try the graphics drivers from the manufactures site first and see if they solve your problems (they might as a utility that updates the drivers for you too ^u^). you may also want to look to update other drivers on your laptop just in case.

if its still not working right go download the graphics drivers from amd. also check windows update.
Old August 24, 2012, 09:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I once had an alienware laptop, and gaming performance were really poor until I diseabled the integrated gpu in the bios and also diseabled the dual gpu mode, and only let the graphic card run. Maybe there was another problem to that, but at least it helped. As for expecting good gaming performance, at this price range, it's possible, especially with dedicated graphic card in it, as I can get better fps with the integrated intel3000 on my new one.
Old August 24, 2012, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Another thing, have you gone into event viewer? you do have a box store special computer maybe somethings failing or defective or your HDD took a trip on the way to you and is giving you the middle finger now. Just a few things to check :)

If you need me the link above is where I spend my days now
Old August 24, 2012, 10:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If you go into the CCC (AMD Vision engine control center) / Power / AMD Power Express you should have the option to select either high performance or power saving GPUs. You should also have an indication of what gpu you're currently running.

Something else I didn't mention about my particular setup is that I have to backtrack several driver packs (or stick with the one from my laptop manufacturer's website) because the latest mobile drivers do not install graphics drivers. If you get into the CCC and you don't see any information WRT your graphics cards it's highly possible that you don't have a driver installed.
Might just be a different version of the CCC but I don't see that option anywhere. This is my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameman Advanced Kid View Post
i dont know if you have done this already BUT

have you gone to the manufactures website that made your laptop and look for drivers there?

have you gone to AMDs website and download their drivers there?

have you run windows update?

i suggest you try the graphics drivers from the manufactures site first and see if they solve your problems (they might as a utility that updates the drivers for you too ^u^). you may also want to look to update other drivers on your laptop just in case.

if its still not working right go download the graphics drivers from amd. also check windows update.
I'm going to try to update all the drivers I can right now. Thanks for the tips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkilion View Post
I once had an alienware laptop, and gaming performance were really poor until I diseabled the integrated gpu in the bios and also diseabled the dual gpu mode, and only let the graphic card run. Maybe there was another problem to that, but at least it helped. As for expecting good gaming performance, at this price range, it's possible, especially with dedicated graphic card in it, as I can get better fps with the integrated intel3000 on my new one.
Any step by step tips. I'll take a look at the bios but I'm always hesitant to mess around in there. I guess they label things pretty clearly nowadays. My biggest problem is figuring a way to ensure that the dedicated GPU is running 100% of the time when I want it to. Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
Another thing, have you gone into event viewer? you do have a box store special computer maybe somethings failing or defective or your HDD took a trip on the way to you and is giving you the middle finger now. Just a few things to check :)
Looking in there now but its a beast of an application I don't even know where to look lol. Hardware Events has 0 entries under it. There's just so much stuff in there I don't know what to look for...
Old August 24, 2012, 10:36 AM
Rookie

Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Intel and ATI GPUs HP Pavilion m6-1068ca Entertainment Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

On HP's site. Interesting little note about OpenGL not being able to use the dedicated GPU. That's not the problem I'm having is it?

HP Pavilion m6-1068ca Entertainment Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
This is the page for my laptop so I guess I'll try updating drivers from here first.
Old August 24, 2012, 10:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I looked into the manual for you laptop, but there's no information about the BIOS. My guess would be something like Advanced -> Graphics. As for OpenGL, most of the game you mentioned use DirectX I think.
Old August 24, 2012, 11:05 AM
Rookie

Would anyone be able to help me ensure I have gotten all the right drivers. I don't want all this head ache from a stupid oversight on my idiot part...

Updating all the drivers with Catalyst Install Manager that I got from HP's site. Will post again with results. Edit: After updating the drivers Dota2 runs a little better but still drops below 20FPS sometimes.

Quote:
I looked into the manual for you laptop, but there's no information about the BIOS. My guess would be something like Advanced -> Graphics. As for OpenGL, most of the game you mentioned use DirectX I think.
Thank you very much. I'll take a look in there. I wasn't sure and figured I'd check but I guess not. EDIT: Nothing in there like that. I couldn't find anything in the BIOS regarding graphics... That seems odd to me.

Last edited by Tojara; August 24, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old August 24, 2012, 11:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You can also check your Windows Power Option, and make sure that in your current power plan, your components have the maximum power set. I should already be set that way, but you never know.
Old August 24, 2012, 11:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
You can also check your Windows Power Option, and make sure that in your current power plan, your components have the maximum power set. I should already be set that way, but you never know.
Yeah I'm messing around with that now. Trying things out on the High Performance Power Plan. I thought it fixed everything but Dota2 performs the exact same way. Trying other games before I go back to looking for drivers.

I wish there was an option to force the dedicated so I knew it was working at least. Should there be?

Starcraf2 performs a little better on the high performance plan i think but still drops to the mid teens in a huge fight.

Last edited by Tojara; August 24, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old August 24, 2012, 12:12 PM
Rookie

Sorry for double post but I don't want to delete the other one by editing and it getting removed or whatever was happening before.

I just ran 3dMark06 again using the High Performance Power plan (results:Trinity Devastator Lite Mobile video card benchmark result - AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics,Hewlett-Packard 18A7 score: 7872 3DMarks) and scored about 100 higher I think then when I ran it using the HP power plan. But more interesting than that is the hardware it reports me as using.
"7872 3DMarks with Trinity Devastator Lite Mobile(3x) and AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD"
Why doesn't it say Radeon HD 7670M? Hmm... Maybe the GPU actually isn't being used? Anyone have any ideas? I'm beginning to think this is my problem and maybe it is fixable. It only reports 512MB of video memory and no info on the drivers. Help me out here guys! I don't know how to fix this.

In an effort to make sure the dedicated GPU was running I am still trying to update all the drivers. AMD's Auto Detect driver installer won't work for me. (AMD Driver Autodetect) It runs and then nothing happens. The process sits there doing, as far as I can tell, nothing. Any ideas about this? I'll try to find the drivers manually. Windows device manager says both of the cards have up to date drivers...

Last edited by Tojara; August 24, 2012 at 12:36 PM.