Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2012, 07:37 PM
Rookie

Default [resolved] second monitor plugged in Motherboard not detected?

So, I'm very proud of myself, my first ever build is completed, I passed all day on this. I had a hard time with wiring and installing the heatsink properly but the computer boot on first try so I guess I managed to do everything correctly.

But... there is always a but eh?
I'm trying to set a dual monitor display. My new 23'' is detected and set as main and working perfectly, it's plugged in the DVI of the HD 7850 GPU.
The second old 19'' monitor (for browsing) has only a VGA plug so I plugged it in my Motherboard (P8Z77-V LK). But it's not detected when I try to detect it in Windows 7 (screen resolution/detect on VGA)

I'm at a loss here, my search on the web turned out only auto detection never what I'm trying to do. My Motherboard should have integrated graphics and VGA support so what am I doing wrong?

Without this little hiccup my installation would have been flawless HELP!
i5 3570k 3.4GHZ, HD7850 2GB, Asus P8Z77-V LX, WD Caviar Blue SATA 6GB/s 1TB, G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB, CM Hyper 212 Plus, Antec 750W modular, Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, Acer S230HL 23'' widescreen LCD, Samsung 19'' widescreen LCD

Last edited by Brigitte; August 24, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old August 23, 2012, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Use the DVI-VGA adapter that came with your graphics card and plugged it in there.
Old August 23, 2012, 07:54 PM
Rookie

I tried to use it, heck even tried my old one and weirdly none want to plug in, big resistance and none of the pins are bended. Hence why I'l trying to plug directly with VGA.

Why does direct plugging into the Motherboard VGA is not working?
i5 3570k 3.4GHZ, HD7850 2GB, Asus P8Z77-V LX, WD Caviar Blue SATA 6GB/s 1TB, G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB, CM Hyper 212 Plus, Antec 750W modular, Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, Acer S230HL 23'' widescreen LCD, Samsung 19'' widescreen LCD

Last edited by Brigitte; August 23, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old August 23, 2012, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try the other port, the one you tried plugging it in to on the video card is DVI-D and only supports digital.
Old August 23, 2012, 10:33 PM
Rookie

Bottom image. The white port (DVI) nothing fits in, not even my adapter that was working fine on my old computer. The blue port (VGA) is the one I am trying to connect my second monitor in. My Motherboard user guide mark those 2 ports as the ones to use for dual monitor, but my VGA cable = monitor not detected in windows 7. Is there something on the motherboard or Bios I have to enable? I saw nothing so far.

Edit: or is it simply that we cannot use on-board graphics AND GPU? All on one or the other only? Could I then plug one monitor to the other?

Last edited by Brigitte; August 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old August 23, 2012, 10:53 PM
Allstar

Double check your old cable to see if there's a group of 4 pins surrounding the single big flat slot.

It also said that it only support ATI HD 5xxx and 6xxx in the manual so double check with Lucid to see if there's an update. Finally, is your HDD operation in RAID mode and is iGPU turned on in BIOS?
Old August 23, 2012, 11:03 PM
Rookie

on my motherboard it's the DVI-D and yes you are right my adapters are DVI-A and that is why I'm trying to use the VGA cables but VGA is not detected. I have no idea what Raid mode is, it affects dual monitor display? IGPU I'm pretty sure I turned it on in Bios but I will double check. I'm just boggled as to why the VGA cable is not detected.
Old August 23, 2012, 11:12 PM
Allstar

RAID is a HDD thing but I downloaded the manual and read that it doesn't recommend RAID mode turned on if you're using LucidLogix. Why do you need to use the onboard graphics card for dual monitors? Your HD7850 should support more than 2 monitors so depending on how many DVI ports you have, you can just plug the DVI -> VGA adapter into the second port. Which brand of video card did you buy?
Old August 23, 2012, 11:17 PM
Rookie

I bought an Asus HD 7850 Direct CU II 2GB
this is what it looks like, can't plug 2 DVI that is why I'm trying to use the on-board for the second monitor.

Could I plug the VGA monitor to the main one? there is a vga plug.
Old August 23, 2012, 11:31 PM
Allstar

Upon closer read of the manual, I don't think you can plug 1 monitor to the motherboard and 1 to the video card. From what I understand is that if you want to use LucidLogix, you either plug it into the motherboard (i-mode) or into the graphics card (d-mode). Also, there was a bug in the LucidLogix software where it won't run with AMD 12.4 driver so get updated drivers. Here is what I suggest:

1. Set your BIOS to use LucidLogix in d-mode as recommended in manual for 3D performance. So iGPU enable and Primary Display to PCIE.
2. Plug that DVI-VGA adapter to the DVI port of your video card and plug into the older monitor.
3. Buy a HDMI->DVI adapter or cable and then plug that to your newer monitor.

I believe the dual monitor mode you were referring to earlier only works if you only use the onboard graphics built into the CPU. Usually, one would completely disable the onboard graphics if he/she is using a dedicated graphic card. However, your board have LucidLogix unless I read your motherboard model wrong. Disclaimer: I NEVER EVER used LucidLogix or have similar hardware as you listed. I'm just making suggestions after reading the motherboard manual and from what I understand from using multi-monitor on a single card.