Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22, 2012, 06:52 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Post Power Button Doesn't Work, but Power Button on Motherboard Does!

Hi guys,

I recently overclocked my CPU and I've run into a problem. It was running great last night, but when I tried to turn it on today it wouldn't start... BUT I pushed the power button on the ASUS mobo and was able to reset the BIOS. Now everything will turn on and function normally - just not using the power button.

I have to leave my computer case open and push the power button from the motherboard to just turn on the computer...

Any suggestions on what else I should be checking for?
Old August 22, 2012, 06:56 PM
Rookie

Check the cable that connects the power button to the motherboard and make sure that it's seated properly on the motherboard pins. It may have accidentally come loose.
Old August 23, 2012, 05:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you know if the motherboard's switch header actually works? Plug the switch from another case (or your current case's reset button) if you have one, or a jumper from an old hard drive into the motherboard and see if that works to turn on your computer:

Old August 23, 2012, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am thinking that maybe you bumped the PC and the power wires came off of the motherboard, or ,which I never have seen personally , the power switch itself is toast.
Old August 23, 2012, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

use the reset button and plug it in to the power pins. I've built 2 computers now that have had defective power buttons.
Old August 25, 2012, 09:20 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thank you for the help guys. It turns out some of the connectors were disconnected. I feel dumb haha