Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   A Genuine Call For Help (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/56204-genuine-call-help.html)

PcWizTech August 20, 2012 09:15 AM

A Genuine Call For Help

Hello everybody,

After alot of troubleshooting, i thought id finally just create this thread. Now, i warn everyone that this may be a long thread and that i must not keep anything to myself no matter how embarrasing or shameful my actions really were.

Lets start off with my situation, im a high school student and finally buy my dream pc. My dream was not only to buy it, but to build it. My father steps into the picture (being an electronic tech) and pretty much does 99% of the work. Although I appreciate it deep inside, and although i know he was doing the right thing, i wanted to do this myself, and use it as a learning experience.

The build was great, ran fast, and no problems whatsoever except for cabling. The cabling management was horrible, simply horrible. Seeing it was my money, my build, i decided to do some management myself. This was and i say it now, my horrible mistake. Not knowing what i was doing, i accidentally connected a cable that says "pcie' or "pcie" into my graphics card. I had a power cable in the 8-pin slot (there from my father), but i inserted a cable that has 6 pins + 2 pins hanging on the side from it. I thought that the extra 2 pins were optional so i inserted that into the 6 pin only slot the the right of the 8 pin slot of my MSI R7950 graphics card.

I attempted to boot my pc and it would not boot, it flashed once and immediately turned off. I though " dammit, i just ruined it". Yes, i should have listened to my father, but i didn't.

Here is where i ask you guys for help. My problem is not the money, but the time. I'm only in high school and im overseas. I dont mind shipping my stuff but, i was wondering how to identify my problem? Is EVERYTHING fried?

What i've done:

I told my father the situation and although he was a bit upset, he was willing to help.

-We were able to jumpstart the PSU and figured out that has not been fried.
- when the cables are attached, the green standby light of the motherboard lights up.

--------------------------
- when my father put a metal paperclip into the main power connector from PSU to the Motherboard we were able to jump start the fans that were connected to the mobo. Does that mean it is not fried? That is my main question. Some lights also lit up, but i wasn't able to get passed post.

- If i RMA my motherboard, how can i tell if anything else is fried?

This return process with several components could take me several months.

I know this is a long post but i ask for you guys' help. PLEASE help me out. I don't know what is broken, or what to do.

System specs:

Asus Sabertooth z77 motherboard

Corsair Vengeance low profile ram 16gb 4x4

Noctua NH d14

Haf X case

Intel i7 3770k CPU

MSI R7950 3gb OC

Corsair TX650M PSU

WD 1TB HDD

Crucial M4 128gb SSD

----------
I repeat, i know my actions were wrong and embarrassing, but i suppose we all make mistakes no matter how embarrassing? I just ask for help.
----------

Thanks to everyone in advanced.

3.0charlie August 20, 2012 09:29 AM

Plugging in the 'pcie' cable into the 8-pin connector of the GPU is actually... the right cable. Something else isn't right. Can you take pics of the whole motherboard, and every single connector?

Also, on a whim... when you did your cable management, did you reconnect the 8-pin motherboard connector, hidden top-side? It's to the upper-left of the cpu socket.

edit: weird, I can't find a pic showing how many connectors does the card sport. Is it a single 8-pins, or dual 8-pins?

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploa...77-naked-3.jpg

PcWizTech August 20, 2012 09:36 AM

Ill take a picture and upload it, but what is the best website to upload it too? I get tired of seeing "oops... looks like the image has been removed". What i did was this. I had a 6 pin into the right 6 pin connector on the card, this was installed by my father and so was the 8 pin connector on the left of the graphics card. These two are right next to each other. I removed that 6 pin that he had and i installed a cable that came with my PSU that had 6 pin + 2 pins into the 6 pin slot on the right of the 8 pin slot on the graphics card. Then i plugged the other end into the PSU itself. I will upload the picture when i find a good site that someone recommends.

sswilson August 20, 2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PcWizTech (Post 649768)
Hello everybody,

After alot of troubleshooting, i thought id finally just create this thread. Now, i warn everyone that this may be a long thread and that i must not keep anything to myself no matter how embarrasing or shameful my actions really were.

Lets start off with my situation, im a high school student and finally buy my dream pc. My dream was not only to buy it, but to build it. My father steps into the picture (being an electronic tech) and pretty much does 99% of the work. Although I appreciate it deep inside, and although i know he was doing the right thing, i wanted to do this myself, and use it as a learning experience.

The build was great, ran fast, and no problems whatsoever except for cabling. The cabling management was horrible, simply horrible. Seeing it was my money, my build, i decided to do some management myself. This was and i say it now, my horrible mistake. Not knowing what i was doing, i accidentally connected a cable that says "pcie' or "pcie" into my graphics card. I had a power cable in the 8-pin slot (there from my father), but i inserted a cable that has 6 pins + 2 pins hanging on the side from it. I thought that the extra 2 pins were optional so i inserted that into the 6 pin only slot the the right of the 8 pin slot of my MSI R7950 graphics card.

I attempted to boot my pc and it would not boot, it flashed once and immediately turned off. I though " dammit, i just ruined it". Yes, i should have listened to my father, but i didn't.

Here is where i ask you guys for help. My problem is not the money, but the time. I'm only in high school and im overseas. I dont mind shipping my stuff but, i was wondering how to identify my problem? Is EVERYTHING fried?

What i've done:

I told my father the situation and although he was a bit upset, he was willing to help.

-We were able to jumpstart the PSU and figured out that has not been fried.
- when the cables are attached, the green standby light of the motherboard lights up.

- when my father put a metal paperclip into the main power connector from PSU to the Motherboard we were able to jump start the fans that were connected to the mobo. Does that mean it is not fried? That is my main question. Some lights also lit up, but i wasn't able to get passed post.

- If i RMA my motherboard, how can i tell if anything else is fried?

This return process with several components could take me several months.

I know this is a long post but i ask for you guys' help. PLEASE help me out. I don't know what is broken, or what to do.

System specs:

Asus Sabertooth z77 motherboard

Corsair Vengeance low profile ram 16gb 4x4

Noctua NH d14

Haf X case

Intel i7 3770k CPU

MSI R7950 3gb OC

Corsair TX650M PSU

WD 1TB HDD

Crucial M4 128gb SSD

----------
I repeat, i know my actions were wrong and embarrassing, but i suppose we all make mistakes no matter how embarrassing? I just ask for help.
----------

Thanks to everyone in advanced.

Not completely sure if I'm reading this right, but it sounds like you might have only plugged in one of the two required connectors on your vid card.

From the looks of the image in this review... http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-review-2.html the 7950 series has both an 8 pin and a 6 pin PCIe power connector. Both have to be connected, and as 3.0Charlie pointed out, the 6+2 PCIe connector is the correct one for a vid card.

3.0charlie August 20, 2012 09:41 AM

Use our site? Create a new album so show the pics.

Also, if the card has 2 8-pins connectors, then both must be used in order for the GPU to be fully functional.

PcWizTech August 20, 2012 09:45 AM

Thanks guys, let me get the pics shot and uploaded. Shouldn't take more than 5-20 minutes. Please stay online(:

Dzzope August 20, 2012 09:48 AM

Sounds like you just haven't got it all connected right...

Make sure the connections on your PSU (if modular) are all securely connected..
Then go through each connector on your mother board and make sure they are connected right.. (24 pin and 8 pin)
Then check all your drives.. power and sata. (to the drive and board, shouldn't stop a boot but may as well check them)
and Finally check the GPU.. if the cable is marked PCI-E, it's correct.. 6 pin/6+2pin to 6 pin and 6+2 pin/8pin to the 8pin

After this and if it's still not working check your front panel connectors are right..

If it's then still not working.. try re-seat the graphics card and memory.. if all this fails, then you have some kind of problem which isn't simply something that is badly or not connected..

dandelioneater August 20, 2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PcWizTech (Post 649774)
Ill take a picture and upload it, but what is the best website to upload it too?

Or use something like photobucket.com to host the pictures. For the Z77 sabertooth, you will need:

-the 24 pin connetor
-the 8 pin cpu connector on the top left of the motherboard\,
-and 2x 6+2 Pin PCIe connectors for the video card. Use all 8 pins of one cablevfor the 8 pin power connector on the card, and just 6 for the 6 pin connector (leave the 2 dangling and not connected)

**Also, check to see that the front panel connectors (PWR_SW, RESET_SW, HDD_LED, PW_LED) are attached properly- These are located on the bottom right of the motherboard where all those little headers (pins) are. The power switch cable may have come loose on the motherboard and would explain why the PC won;t start.

PcWizTech August 20, 2012 10:15 AM

I dont know how to add the album itself to this thread so here ill just link it.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...call-help.html

Edit: OH WAIT, I think this is what i did if i recall it correctly.

Original setup:
Black 6 pin only connector no +2 pin into graphicscard and on the other end there are two 4 pin large connectors for power i suppose? I remove that and i plugged in the black 6 pin connector into the back of the PSU. I hide the cable under the HAF X cable cage thing but made sure everything was nice and connected. Then i got the PCIE cable 6 pin + 2 and connected that to the graphics card leaving 2 pins disconnected and then plugged the other end to the PSU. I know that in the setup pictures some things are missing but that is because i removed my graphics card before and tried to boot to see if that was the issue but it seems like it wasn't.

Shadowmeph August 20, 2012 10:16 AM

if all you did was unplugged cables and moved them around maybe you bumped something or maybe not all of the cables are plugged in all of the way. what I would do is unplug one cable at a time then plug it back in go around the whole board doing this and make sure that your ram and everything else is seated properly.
it could be something as simple the pin connector wire being pulled off while you were cleaning up the cables . with things like this always start with the simplest solution.