Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2012, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
Thanks, i will be testing it out of the case today, ive been busy lately. But here is the thing. About a week ago. My father inserted the metal pin into the 24 pin adapter and plugged it into the motherboard. This led to the power supply turning on, leds of the case and leds of the fans turning on with the fans itself on, and the cpu fans on. Does this mean my motherboard isn't fried if the case or cpu fans run (which are attached directly to the motherboard).
Wait... He did what? Want to explain this bit better before you do anything.
Old August 24, 2012, 08:46 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The same method to jump start a power supply.

After seeing my pc would not start, and after testing out every possible solution, my dad used the same method that he did for jump starting the powersupply to jump start the motherboard. He inserted a metal clip in the 24 pin or 20 pin cable (the very large one), and proceeded to connect it to the motherboard. I hit the power on button on my case and the computer started. I dont remember hearing a beep, but i saw GPU, CPU, Chasis, and all LEDs light up. What i was wondering this whole entire time if this means my motherboard is not fried but my psu is? Ive tried to boot under all conditions and methods but never got to post.
Old August 24, 2012, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here is a guide that may help you:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- ****************************Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards *****
Old August 24, 2012, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
The same method to jump start a power supply.

After seeing my pc would not start, and after testing out every possible solution, my dad used the same method that he did for jump starting the powersupply to jump start the motherboard. He inserted a metal clip in the 24 pin or 20 pin cable (the very large one), and proceeded to connect it to the motherboard. I hit the power on button on my case and the computer started. I dont remember hearing a beep, but i saw GPU, CPU, Chasis, and all LEDs light up. What i was wondering this whole entire time if this means my motherboard is not fried but my psu is? Ive tried to boot under all conditions and methods but never got to post.
While this may not cause any permanent damage this was a bad thing to do. You accomplished the same thing by simply putting the connector into the motherboard connector.

To be honest with you I am going to say that your troubleshooting abilities are not that great and that we are not getting the entire story and makes me wonder what damage may or may not have been done.

The paperclip into the power supply should be used for nothing more than checking voltages and seeing if it . To have properly checked the motherboard you need another power supply to do this as your testing method didn't do for the motherboard.
Old August 24, 2012, 09:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Honestly, i know you guys are mad, but how do i stop my parents. They same to always claim "i know what im doing". If this would of been me. I would of just RMAd the motherboard and PSU from the start. But i cant really test systems. I dont know anyone here with a high end system and im surrounded mainly by farms -.-.

Edit:
Quick question guys. When i install the mobo again, should i adjust anything? Im not going to lie. When i installed it, i installed windows, updates drivers, bios and everything and everything ran well. I never really touched anything in bios. Is there something i should always change/check?

Edit 2:

Everyone, i got my new mobo in and everything works except the GPU. I've tried all combos to power it up, but nothing. I believe that is what has fried along with my previous motherboard. I can do an RMA refund and then purchase another card, but should i purchase a new one or go buy a gtx 660 ti since it just came out? Im trying to see my best purchase card for the same price of the MSI R7950 3GB OC Edition card, thanks!

Last edited by PcWizTech; September 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM.