Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22, 2012, 06:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Warranty will be void on the PSU.. Not worth opening them unless they are out of warranty really (certified or not, he's not a registered repair centre for that brand)..

Any computer shop should have a PSU at least with 24 pin and 8 pin connector..
Less likely to have a z77 board but again if your testing your PSU, then as long as they have a modern board or system they can try it on (again with 24 and 8 pin connectors)..

It's less about how high-end the system is as long as they have something that is compatible with it and I would be surprised if they didn't.
Old August 22, 2012, 06:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Lets say the sticker was there, all looked good, nothing was touched inside (i promise). Could they notice?
Old August 22, 2012, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If a screw happened to fall in and short something out, most of the time it just causes a no post and doesn't permanently damage anything, but at that point there are no guarantees.
In my experience when something shorts a motherboard the PSU shuts down immediately and stays off until the short is removed.

Mind you, this isn't a large testing pool, but I've done it once and one of my kids "helped" me another time.

Each time the motherboard was fine.
Old August 22, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
Lets say the sticker was there, all looked good, nothing was touched inside (i promise). Could they notice?
You might get lucky... usually the stickers are the plastic kind and will have ripples in them once you remove them..
Old August 22, 2012, 02:17 PM
NCIX System Builder

My System Specs

^Agreed,

I would never open a PSU under warranty, even if you can replicate the sticker placements & make it "OEM" again. It's just not worth the risk.
Old August 23, 2012, 05:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yeah I'm with you on this guys about the sticker. I told my father "dont open it dont do it " He said "relax ill get the sticker." Blah blah. We ended up on the agreement if they find out its tampered with he will buy another PSU with his own money because i didn't want to open it. But seriously guys, if all the voltages are correct, and the fan works, no odd noises, how else will they test it? I mean i trust you guys, but could the PSU really be fried or defected if its putting out the correct power?
Old August 23, 2012, 06:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yep.. They test it by plugging it into a machine that works..

Did you test it as suggested earlier? Plug in a fan or a light then switch it on? see if the fan/light works..

If it does it means it's not totally fried at least.. BUT thats not to say that there isn't a problem with the 24 or 8 pin..

Really, plugging it into a known working system is the easiest way to check, likewise with the motherboard (known working PSU)
I would call or go into a local computer shop / internet café / friend with any way reasonably modern PC.. anything (even for a reasonable fee)... and see if they would be willing to test/ let you use a psu to test your machine..
ideally your psu on their machine and their psu on yours, this will then tell you where the problem lies at least (somewhere in your rig or with your PSU)

If it's somewhere in your rig, try your GPU and ram in their machine.. and if possible your cpu too(though this is less likely)
This is the easiest and fastest way to see where the problem is.. You can then try work with that knowledge to resolve or RMA the part where it fails.

First thing though is to test out of the case.. Then move to the above.
Old August 23, 2012, 07:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Yep.. They test it by plugging it into a machine that works..

Did you test it as suggested earlier? Plug in a fan or a light then switch it on? see if the fan/light works..

If it does it means it's not totally fried at least.. BUT thats not to say that there isn't a problem with the 24 or 8 pin..

Really, plugging it into a known working system is the easiest way to check, likewise with the motherboard (known working PSU)
I would call or go into a local computer shop / internet café / friend with any way reasonably modern PC.. anything (even for a reasonable fee)... and see if they would be willing to test/ let you use a psu to test your machine..
ideally your psu on their machine and their psu on yours, this will then tell you where the problem lies at least (somewhere in your rig or with your PSU)

If it's somewhere in your rig, try your GPU and ram in their machine.. and if possible your cpu too(though this is less likely)
This is the easiest and fastest way to see where the problem is.. You can then try work with that knowledge to resolve or RMA the part where it fails.

First thing though is to test out of the case.. Then move to the above.
Thanks, i will be testing it out of the case today, ive been busy lately. But here is the thing. About a week ago. My father inserted the metal pin into the 24 pin adapter and plugged it into the motherboard. This led to the power supply turning on, leds of the case and leds of the fans turning on with the fans itself on, and the cpu fans on. Does this mean my motherboard isn't fried if the case or cpu fans run (which are attached directly to the motherboard).

Edit:

Ive tried without the case and tested all the ram and no boot. I think im just going to return the motherboard and purchase it again. I have a quick question for you guys though. I cant seem to find the plastic housing that came in the intel i7 box. Im not talking about the motherboard cpu cover but the little platic case that housed the i7 when it was shipped to me. Would it be bad if i put the cpu in a zip lock bag or an anti static bag? I mean the platic case that housed the cpu didnt look anti static or anything to me. Thanks guys

Last edited by PcWizTech; August 24, 2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old August 24, 2012, 04:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you bought them from the same place you can tell them that you aren't sure if it's the mobo or cpu and leave the CPU in the board as it'll be safer then putting in a bag..

Does sound like a motherboard problem.. again, I would still try to test it with a known working PSU and everything else like I described last post..

You don't want to ship it back to another country to have them find no fault.

Also contact them for any trouble shooting they may provide for minimized risk of sending a working part. Then ask about RMA.
Old August 24, 2012, 06:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wait... I'm going to end up shipping it in but are you suggesting that I leave my CPU in and give it to them? Won't they just keep the CPU?