Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2012, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
place it on the wooden desk, it'll be fine.
Not sure what the latest status is, but at this point, I think you have no choice but to take the board out of the case and test the system on the desk.

The Tx650 Power supply should have enough cables that you shouldn't need the molex to pcie 6 pin adapter.
Old August 22, 2012, 02:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Alright everyone here i will list what i have done and what i haven't done (but i might try doing)

What i have done:

- Inserted paperclip into PSU main power cable (20 or 24 pin one) and jumpstarted it. Tested the voltage out of each and every cable and got the correct numbers.

- Tried booting with normal setup (everything connected) = no boot.

- Tried booting with just ram (all sticks), cpu, gpu (with the two pcie cables not the adapter) but no HDD SSD or Disk Drive = no boot.

- Tried booting with just the bare minimum (no chasis fans, no LEDS, no ssd, no hdd, no disk drive) just 4 sticks of ram, cpu and onboard graphics= no boot.

What i will try doing:

- Take out the motherboard from case and try booting with bare minimum but all ram sticks. If boot fails, ill test each and every ram stick.

- Put in graphics card and try boot. If boot fails, then i suppose my GPU is bad?

If my computer ends up booting successfully with everything connected but out of the case (GPU, all ram, ssd, hdd, disk drive, ect) what would be my issue then? The stands off? When i did cable management i never took the motherboard out or any ram sticks, or the graphics card out.

Thanks!
Old August 22, 2012, 03:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Some are saying it doesn't sound like a dead part... to me it does.. Psu or Mobo.. (as long as it's not the board shorting on anything)

Try with the board out of the case.. it can be a case of a mounting or a loose screw or god knows what having moved slightly when you were re-wiring..
If this is the case you need to check the tray has no barbs of metal or cable-tie point that could reach the back of the board
Also count how many stand-offs there are and make sure they match the board (position and number) and they aren't damaged in any way..

I would pull the psu from the case and remove all connected wires... Add the 24 pin and 8pin motherboard connectors and try with cpu only installed..
Then add 1 part at a time.. ram(each stick).. then GPU.. then HDD's.. then all your extra's..

If it all works, great.. but that means it is a problem with the case or you simply didn't have something plugged in correct..

The local store you got the PSU from.. you could always get them to test the psu / board for you if you can't find the problem before you start RMAing stuff in different countries..

On the not wanting people to know where you are... really? you a spy man? :P country even would be good.. hell if we wanted we could find out easily enough(down to ISP and general area) so it's not like your in any danger if you say I live in china or russia or whatever.. Hell I live in Kiev.. good luck finding me.. :P
Old August 22, 2012, 03:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Oh of course, I'll say that i live in spain and surely i know that moderators here can easily track my ISP. I have nothing to hide (: . Its just that im only 16 and im just catious about this stuff, i don't know why. Here is the thing. Lets say a screw fell behind there or a cable was back there. Would that of fried my motherboard? Or should i just remount it and get rid of that screw or cable if one happens to be there?
Old August 22, 2012, 04:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

See, I know someone that moved from Ireland to Barcelona.. At 16 I wouldn't be TOO wary but wouldn't suggest meeting on your own either..

Try it out of the case.. If it works it works.. if not..well, it would be reasonably conclusive to me at least that either the board or PSU have gone the way of the dodo..
Old August 22, 2012, 05:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If it doesn't work, should i just RMA both the PSU and MB? I mean, lets say they get the PSU at the place and they say "oh you tampered with it" are they forced to keep it or do they just send it back but dont get me a new one?
Old August 22, 2012, 05:47 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

If you didn't crack it open it's not tampered with. It would really be nice to have some parts to test with, maybe rma whichever seems the most likely to be messed up. Generally tho if you send an RMA in and they test it to be fine you're on the hook for return shipping and sometimes testing fees.
Old August 22, 2012, 06:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
Oh of course, I'll say that i live in spain and surely i know that moderators here can easily track my ISP. I have nothing to hide (: . Its just that im only 16 and im just catious about this stuff, i don't know why. Here is the thing. Lets say a screw fell behind there or a cable was back there. Would that of fried my motherboard? Or should i just remount it and get rid of that screw or cable if one happens to be there?
I can sympathize with not wanting to give out your physical location. I felt the same way for quite a while when I first started surfing the internets... :) We're such a close knit group that sometimes we forget that not everybody feels like they're part of the family. :)

If a screw happened to fall in and short something out, most of the time it just causes a no post and doesn't permanently damage anything, but at that point there are no guarantees.

One of the reasons why folks are asking location / suggesting getting help is that you're quickly getting to the point of not being able get much more faultfinding done without access to replacement hardware to swap in/out. (Or a second set of eyes to see something that we're not thinking of).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 22, 2012, 06:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
If you didn't crack it open it's not tampered with. It would really be nice to have some parts to test with, maybe rma whichever seems the most likely to be messed up. Generally tho if you send an RMA in and they test it to be fine you're on the hook for return shipping and sometimes testing fees.
Yea.. this..

Ideally you should find someone or a local shop that will have spare parts..
They may charge you a small fee for testing it but it may be worth it to pin-point the part and then ship once and be sure that it won't pass any tests they do.
Old August 22, 2012, 06:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ill see if any shops can test it for me. Problem is my computer is pretty high end compared to what even shops have around here. Secondly, i know this is bad, but this is not my fault. My father being certified in this, opened the PSU. Yes, he removed the "warranty void, if removed" sticker. He stated he could put the sticker back on, and that if the company said something bad about it, that he would end up purchasing the PSU himself (buying a second one). He opened it up and noticed the fuse, or that thing that indicates a fry, is not blown. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? This must mean that my motherboard is blown?? I still have to take it out of the case and test it though.