Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2012, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sometimes components die at the same time that you are trying to do something else on your computer. It greatly complicates your troubleshooting because you keep looking at what you were working on for the problem, even though it is not related., I suspect this may be one of those cases. I have had a psu die that gave me all correct readings with a multimeter when tested but my rig just would not boot properly. I finally had to replace the psu even though I was not 100% sure it was the problem. To my relief it was but I spent the good part of a day troubleshooting.
Old August 21, 2012, 09:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

this might sound silly, but do you have the right input set for the monitor? My Asus monitor is a bit wonky and the auto detect doesnt work , so I have to manually switch over to the appropriate input.
Old August 21, 2012, 01:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Alright everyone,

So i jump started the power supply again (took it apart away from the case) and i checked the voltage on each and every cable. I got all correct voltage so i dont think the PSU is bad, unless you guys recommend any other test.

I believe my motherboard is fried as i tried to boot it up with the bare minimum (but it was still in the case).

Im about to fill in an RMA for my motherboard (just in case).

I was wondering if anyone has any other test that they recommend i do?

What if the new mobo comes in and the CPU is fried or something else is fried too? Should i RMA every component in my pc?

Thanks guys!
Old August 21, 2012, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Unless there is a load on that psu all you are reading are voltages that don't mean much. Take the board out of the case to test it. I being in the case can still cause issues.
Old August 21, 2012, 03:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

Maybe post your location so someone from this board can help you out to test your parts, lots of helpful gents in here.

Old August 21, 2012, 03:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I understand that there are lots and lots of people who are very helpful here, but i really don't want to give away my location. Sorry about that. But in all honesty, should i just test the board out of the case? Where should i lay the case? I only have a wooden desk to lay it on. Should i use that or lay it on the bag it came in? I read thats not recommended because the outside is not anti static?

Edit: My rma was accepted and they say they can refund my board if it is as described and that in the meantime i can order a new one. Before i order a new one. Whats a good test to use a PSU on? I simply dont have another pc to try it on.
Old August 21, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Woh woh.... Unless I missed something, I think I see your problem...

In this picture, you only have ONE molex connector (4-pin flat power) hooked up feeding to the PCIE. These adapters require TWO 4-pin molex connections to feed power to ONE PCIE connection as a single molex does NOT feed enough power to the PCIE. I saw a suggestion that you dump this adapter altogether and just use the two PCIE connections that come with your PSU, but I didn't read anywhere that you actually did that? Also, those molex connecters are notorious for having the pins pop out backwards from the ends, so they may look like they're plugged in, but the pins may actually just be pushed out the back of the connector.

I have to agree with Perineum though... I'd be really surprised if this is a fried MB. Of the few things this sounds like (incorrect power to GPU / CPU 8 pin not plugged in / grounding issue / hardware issue) I'd expect the hardware to be least likely. Especially considering it worked fine until you swapped a single cable.

*EDIT* And it appears that you've plugged the PCIE adapter on to the end of a fan or LED lead? These adapters MUST be plugged in directly to molex leads coming from the PSU, not daisy chained on the end of other leads in your rig as that could cause a fire hazard. (Although I recommend not using them if possible)

*EDIT 2* Reviewing the note on the photo, I'm not sure now if you're using this adapter at all anymore. If not, disregard the above I suppose. But I still have a hard time seeing it as a fried board. And you did say that you ensured the 8 pin CPU adapter at the top left of the board is plugged in, correct?

Last edited by Caldezar; August 21, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old August 21, 2012, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Put it on the wood desk and hook up cpu, ram, gpu, and power supply and take pictures. Too many irregularities.
Old August 21, 2012, 05:36 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Or maybe don't even hook up the video card if you have a HDMI input on your monitor, you have onboard video there.

I am really leaning to a disconected cable or maybe poorly seated video card.
Old August 21, 2012, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

place it on the wooden desk, it'll be fine.