Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2012, 03:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You said that you're overseas... where abouts on the off chance that somebody might be local to loan you some testing hardware? (It's a longshot, but you never know... we've got regular members from all over the globe now)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 20, 2012, 03:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If I recall it correctly, my fathers friend recently upgraded his of. I might be able to test that on his pc set. If not, I'll have to just trial and error and ship things over. Lets just hope it's the PSU.
Old August 20, 2012, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yup.. or that know people from all over that may be willing to help...
Like I'm currently living in Kiev.. but from Ireland and know people from England, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and Netherlands(Holland) who, depending on distance, may be able to help..

On the front panel.. It's highly unlikely that this has gone as it's quite simple, robust and very little current goes through it. But yea... screwdriver on the jumpers that the pw sw goes to
Or there should be an internal power button. But I'm surprised not to be finding any reference to one on the spec's and see none board or back panel from pics..
My p6x58d-E (mid range 1366 board) has one.. Very surprised the Sabertooth doesn't.

Last edited by Dzzope; August 20, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old August 20, 2012, 03:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm just sitting here wondering " what the hell did I do wrong?" :(
Old August 20, 2012, 04:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'll see what I can do to help. It sounds like there is either a short somewhere or an improperly fitted cable. First off, when you were reorganizing the cables, did you happen to remove the motherboard. I'm just asking because it is known the new builder have on occasion put a motherboard in forgetting to put in the risers causing a short. Though I highly doubt that's the case here as I don't see any reason you would need to remove the motherboard for cable management, I just have to ask for the purpose of covering all bases.

Note: As mentioned to you earlier, the 6 pin VGA power connection with the option 2 pin separation to turn it into an 8 pin connection... Don't worry, you were indeed correct that it is fully optional and dependent on your type of graphics card. So don't worry, that's not the problem.

It would be highly advantageous to us to see some pictures of your computer as it is currently fitted. If you could do that, it would be a big help. But for the sake of initial troubleshooting, I will list a couple common things to check can cause issues after first building a computer:

1. There are 2 main PSU connections on the motherboard. The main 24pin (really big) connection. Make sure this is properly fitted. Especially since most modern PSU's have 4 pins that are removable (not fully, but you get what I mean) to ensure compatibility with older motherboards that only required 20 pins. Double check this cable. Make sure all 24 pins are properly seated.

2. The second of the 2 main PSU connections (depending on the motherboard) will either be a 6 or an 8 pin connection. Most likely an 8 pin if it's a newer motherboard. This will be located on the upper left corner of the motherboard, again to the upper left of the CPU. Make sure that you have both a: put in the correct 8 pin cable from the PSU and b: make sure it is properly and securely seated. Please note, if the connection on the top left is an 8 pin, then you must use the 8 pin connector. But not the cable labeled PCIE.. There is another unlabeled or differently labeled cable specifically for that connection.

I would check these 2 things first. Most of the other issues common to new builds have different symptoms that don't cause a computer to immediately keel over and shut down. If you could take a few pics and post them here, it would be a big help. Close ups and multiple angles would be awesome, but any pics might go a long way.

Recommended photo site: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Last edited by bignick277; August 20, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old August 20, 2012, 04:20 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
I'm just sitting here wondering " what the hell did I do wrong?" :(
If the PSU was on when you were moving cables about its possible you shorted a ground with the +12 volt on the the PCIE cable, either that or you jammed it in upside down somewhere. Always turn off, unplug, and drain a PSU before changing hardware that it plugs into.
Old August 20, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignick277 View Post
2. The second of the 2 main PSU connections (depending on the motherboard) will either be a 6 or an 8 pin connection. Most likely an 8 pin if it's a newer motherboard. This will be located on the upper left corner of the motherboard, again to the upper left of the CPU.
It's probably a typo, but I'm sure you meant to say 4 or 8 pin....
Old August 20, 2012, 04:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'll check for things but I doubt I jammed everything and yes I unplugged everything before I touched cables. Secondly, all cables both CPU and 24 pin are secure. That does not seem to be my issue.
Old August 20, 2012, 04:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
It's probably a typo, but I'm sure you meant to say 4 or 8 pin....
Actually, I meant 6. I have seen a couple 6 pin configurations a long time ago, although rare during the 775 socket generation and wasn't sure if any newer generation boards might have it as well. I didn't say 4 because I was assuming he didn't buy a Socket 478 generation motherboard. I might be wrong or remember it wrong as it was a long time ago, but I was just trying be on the safe side. The rest of the advice in the sentence is sound. Thanks for keeping me on my toes though. (Not sarcasm, geniune... All help is good help)
Old August 20, 2012, 04:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
I'll check for things but I doubt I jammed everything and yes I unplugged everything before I touched cables. Secondly, all cables both CPU and 24 pin are secure. That does not seem to be my issue.
Double check your case to motherboard switch cables. Make sure you haven't accidentally swapped the power and reset switch cables. Also if you are unsure of which is positive and negative, color is always the positive. Whites and blacks are always the negative.

Quote:
I haven't remounted ALL of the ram because two are under the noctua, but they were never touched even after my pc stopped working.

And i know that my PSU has power because if i use a clip i can jump start it and it gives power out and fan spins. Ive also tried earlier to boot without GPU and no success. But here is the thing, that one day i tried booting pc with a paper clip inside the 20 pin power connector. This led to LEDs turning on and fans. I think i heard one post beep but nothing on monitor. I may be wrong only on the beep part. Does that mean that my motherboard is not fried if it let the chasis fans spin?
1 POST beep generally means all is good with the motherboard. Also, just because you can trip it on, doesn't mean the PSU is properly powering the computer. Plus I seen many times in the past where a failed PSU would start up, then die, but leave the fans running, but you could hear the hard drives winding down. The only way to get it running after that was kill the main breaker switch on the PSU and wait for the residual energy to discharge. In your case, killing the switch and trying turning it on again to force it to discharge.

Quote:
Wait I just thought, is there a way to start up my pc without front panel? Maybe my front panel fried?
Extremely unlikely, as I've looked up your case. Your switches are simple basic everyday type switches you'll find almost all computers. Those things almost never break or fail unless something really violent happens to them. You're more likely to accidentally put the switch cables on the wrong pins on your motherboard many, many more times than you're ever likely to see one of those fail.

There is one more thing you can do if you don't want to take your parts back yet and see what you can do to get it running. If you've checked everything and still can't find the problem. Take it completely apart again. And I mean completely. Check all the parts to make sure there's nothing you missed while it was built and put it back together again from scratch.... With your dads help this time, and organize the cables while rebuilding this time, so you don't have to do it again after it's fully built again. If you can't find the problem after this many hours of trying, then it will just be quicker to start from scratch. Given your build, it shouldn't taken any more the 2-3 hours.

If the problem is still there after the rebuild, try replacing the PSU first since it's the easiest to get replaced at the store. If still not fixed, then try replacing the motherboard.

Just for your info, I doubt your graphics card is the issue. If it was your graphics card, your computer should boot, but give you multiple and protracted beeps, warning you of a Graphics card issue. Usually power related. It wouldn't go into windows, but you would get the beeps telling you the source. (Same goes for memory) If you took out the graphics card and tried to boot, the computer would automatically try to boot using the on-CPU GPU and all you would have to do is plug the monitor into the motherboard HDMI port and you would get a 1 beep POST telling everything was good.

Last edited by bignick277; August 20, 2012 at 05:21 PM.