Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2012, 10:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Try it without the video card installed to see if the hardware boots (you'll see fans spinning up..... ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Have you re-mounted the GPU and ram?

It's possible.. motherboard or PSU.
Try the PSU in another machine if you can... or another PSU in your machine.

If it doesn't work RMA it.. Say it was DOA.. :)
I haven't remounted ALL of the ram because two are under the noctua, but they were never touched even after my pc stopped working.

And i know that my PSU has power because if i use a clip i can jump start it and it gives power out and fan spins. Ive also tried earlier to boot without GPU and no success. But here is the thing, that one day i tried booting pc with a paper clip inside the 20 pin power connector. This led to LEDs turning on and fans. I think i heard one post beep but nothing on monitor. I may be wrong only on the beep part. Does that mean that my motherboard is not fried if it let the chasis fans spin?
Old August 20, 2012, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just because the PSU is getting power and turning on doesn't mean it's putting out power to all the necessary places..

I would try it in another box / try another psu in this one.

ALso what Swilson said above.
Old August 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Just because the PSU is getting power and turning on doesn't mean it's putting out power to all the necessary places..

I would try it in another box / try another psu in this one.

ALso what Swilson said above.
Sadly, my other computers are too old to check this psu with. My father owns what i believe is called a Electronic Voltage Regulator, and he checked the voltage on each cable. Is there a paper or a manual that indicates how much voltage each cable should give out? Im praying to god that only the PSU is bad. Thanks!

Edit: tried again unplugging all GPU cables and removing GPU, still no boot.

Last edited by PcWizTech; August 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old August 20, 2012, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This really doesn't add up.

I don't think you nuked anything, PC hardware these days is really bloody tough. The only time I've seen dead motherboards is from blown caps which doesn't happen too much anymore and crappy PSUs that die and literally blow IC's right off the motherboards.

The PSU would probably be easiest to test from a SATA cable. Look for 3.3, 5 and 12 volt. That, however, is hardly a definitive PSU test.
Old August 20, 2012, 12:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

My RMA was accepted and the PSU is thank god from a local country shop. So should I just return it and get it replaced or just check the voltages first. Like you said, I thought I was doing cable management correctly, I'm not "THAT" stupid. I mean , am I forgetting to connect something?
Old August 20, 2012, 01:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yea.. try it with the new psu.. if it's not that then the motherboard is next... it's a pain to narrow some stuff down without spare bits..

Did you try booting without the GPU installed like Swilson suggested?

As for forgetting to plug something in... you should have the 24 pin and 8 pin motherboard connectors (in both the Mobo and PSU) 2 PCI-e connectors and then whatever for your HDD's and other bits and bobs.
Old August 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wait I just thought, is there a way to start up my pc without front panel? Maybe my front panel fried?
Old August 20, 2012, 01:47 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Use a flat screw driver, and jump the 2 small leads where the front header would be connected.
Old August 20, 2012, 01:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks guys, as soon as I get home I'll give that a shot, hopefully it's that and not the mobo