Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2012, 09:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
Thanks guys, let me get the pics shot and uploaded. Shouldn't take more than 5-20 minutes. Please stay online(:
You connected to Both Card PCI-e Connectors right? The 8 and 6 Pin?

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 20, 2012, 09:21 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good; connect both the 6-pin and 8-pin connectors to the gpu without the adaptor (use the cables coming straight from the PSU). Power it up then. Make sure you have a monitor connected. Should work.
Old August 20, 2012, 09:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
if all you did was unplugged cables and moved them around maybe you bumped something or maybe not all of the cables are plugged in all of the way. what I would do is unplug one cable at a time then plug it back in go around the whole board doing this and make sure that your ram and everything else is seated properly.
it could be something as simple the pin connector wire being pulled off while you were cleaning up the cables . with things like this always start with the simplest solution.
Thanks for the Shadow, but the thing is that i turned on my PC and the leds blinked and everything shutted down, do you think that means something fried or just loose connectors and not sufficient power? Like i said earlier, my father was able to jumpstart the motherboard by putting in a metal clip into the main power connector from the psu to the motherboard but only the fans spun and leds turned on and no post. Does that indicate that i haven't fried anything though??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Looks good; connect both the 6-pin and 8-pin connectors to the gpu without the adaptor (use the cables coming straight from the PSU). Power it up then. Make sure you have a monitor connected. Should work.
Thanks, but before i do anything , did you read my edited post on the album? I may of said something important there.

Edit:

Here is what im going to do once you guys say i should do it or not. Im about to plug a 6 +2 pin cable into the 8 pin cable, i cant find the 8pin only cable and then another 6+2 pin cable into the right 6 pin connector on the graphics card with 2 pins left disconnected. Both cables will plug directly into the PSU. Is this correct?

Last edited by PcWizTech; August 20, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old August 20, 2012, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Do not use connectors like this for your GPU if you have proper ones on your PSU, which you do
And definately don't power anything else off them..
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...hing-else.html

This pic... you should have 2 cables like this coming straight from the PSU (no adapters etc) and plug 1 into the 8 pin and the other into the 6 pin with the 2 extra pins left out..
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...connector.html

Plug in the GPU, take another pic and then update your album (let us know when).
Make sure both PCI-E cables are in the correct part of your PSU
Old August 20, 2012, 09:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Do not use connectors like this for your GPU if you have proper ones on your PSU, which you do
And definately don't power anything else off them..
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...hing-else.html

This pic... you should have 2 cables like this coming straight from the PSU (no adapters etc) and plug 1 into the 8 pin and the other into the 6 pin with the 2 extra pins left out..
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...connector.html

Plug in the GPU, take another pic and then update your album (let us know when).
Make sure both PCI-E cables are in the correct part of your PSU
Okay, ill do that right away, now i ask you real quick, the original setup with the adapters worked fine. I know that if something works fine its not always good, but is that normal that it worked? OR is it just not recommended. Ill post pictures of the two made cables ASAP.

Edit: Pictures uploaded, standby light still on, no power. Hit the turn on button and no spin, spark, sound at all. Everything seems to be still. Never saw a spark or smoke by the way.

Last edited by PcWizTech; August 20, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old August 20, 2012, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It's just not recommended.

Remove and replace the GPU totally, memory too...

It's not easy to see from that picture.. But are all the connectors to the motherboard connected to the PSU right?
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...mg-0403-1.html

If that doesn't work the try a re-set of your BIOS..
Old August 20, 2012, 10:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
It's just not recommended.

Try a re-set of your BIOS..
Im so sorry for the noob question but how do i reset the Bios?? The flashback button on the I/O panel? This will remove what though?
Old August 20, 2012, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Re-setting the BIOS will clear all settings and make it default.. RTFM. :P ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Troubleshooting SABERTOOTH Z77 (there is a switch and 2 jumpers... Check the CLRCT_SW is enabled then you can just press the button on the back of the machine
You will need to (once it boots) go in and change settings like sata type to AHCI etc if you had them done before (AHCI is faster than IDE for your SSD)
Any OC settings will be cleared too.

Edited my above post.. re-check it..
Old August 20, 2012, 10:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Re-setting the BIOS will clear all settings and make it default.. RTFM. :P ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Troubleshooting SABERTOOTH Z77 (there is a switch and 2 jumpers... Check the CLRCT_SW is enabled then you can just press the button on the back of the machine
You will need to (once it boots) go in and change settings like sata type to AHCI etc if you had them done before (AHCI is faster than IDE for your SSD)
Any OC settings will be cleared too.

Edited my above post.. re-check it..
Cleared BIOS, still no boot :/. Motherboard fried?
Old August 20, 2012, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Have you re-mounted the GPU and ram?

It's possible.. motherboard or PSU.
Try the PSU in another machine if you can... or another PSU in your machine.

If it doesn't work RMA it.. Say it was DOA.. :)