Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2012, 02:27 PM
Allstar

Default Possible HDD problem

I recently have problems with games (WOT & Civ5), the game would lock up and the HDD light stays lit. It seem the computer is busy with something but I can't figure out what. When I even try to go into HDD property to schedule a surface scan, it is non responsive. I clone the drive (WD Black) to a spare (Seagate 7200.12) and then updated the NIC and reinstall Nvidia drivers. Fire up the games and no lock up. A quick memory test using Memtest 86+ and HDD test using WD's own utility show no errors. What the heck am I looking at? Is it possible that I have a failing drive that haven't trip the HDD tool? I haven't try GSmartControl yet.
Old August 7, 2012, 04:02 PM
Top Prospect

Yeah its very possible that the drive is failing without giving any other signs, like errors in SMART, etc.
Old August 7, 2012, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do a long test, or a test that does a surface scan of the entire drive. Sounds like the drive is repeatedly trying to read a bad sector or something....

Generally speaking a long test or SMART should show a drive dying.

Also check the interface cable too.....
Old August 7, 2012, 05:58 PM
Allstar

Done both surface scan and WD Long Test. Since I was asleep during surface scan so I didn't see any error message but long scan show no errors. I'll see if it's the cable or power supply since I just moved the cloned drive inside the case (it was external on eSATA).
Old August 7, 2012, 06:22 PM
Allstar

Well a quick update. The cloned drive now is showing the same problem as the old drive when I plug it into the case using the same SATA & power cable. I swap the SATA cable and hope that's the problem.
Old August 8, 2012, 05:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

that most likly is the issue power/data cable failure
Old August 8, 2012, 03:01 PM
Allstar

Well it could also be a port failure but I haven't test out that theory yet. It has been about 14 hours since I swap the SATA cable and no lock up during HDD access. However, that cable is not in the original port since I just pulled it from another HDD.