Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2012, 09:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default PC is extremely slow

I've recently built a system with the specs listed in the upper right drop-box. Fresh copy of windows, and it's slow. Like, very slow. I open an executable file and it takes 10 seconds just to respond. Browsers are slow, microsoft updates are slow... feels like it's a pentium 4, no joke. Updated to all the latest drivers, new BIOS, everything there is.
Does anyone have an idea..?
Old August 3, 2012, 10:12 AM
MVP

My System Specs

My first guess would be the HDD's (I assume the WD is the boot drive), my second guess is that you choose a PSU that is very well too small to power 3 large HDD's, a 6990 and the cpu( overclocked?)
Old August 3, 2012, 11:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It doesn't seem the be the psu as the slowdowns occur while the GPU is at idle. I've checked the HDD (the Seagate is the boot drive), all benches give good results...
Old August 3, 2012, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

i would put the 1tb black as boot drive

even better to invest in an ssd

when you go ssd you dont go back to no disc

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old August 3, 2012, 12:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Fresh copy of windows, and it's slow.
Could be the Indexing service running in the background slowing everything down to a crawl.

Ctrl + Shift + ESC to open Task manager.
Look at the Processes running and see if one or more process are taking lots or resources. Keep an eye on CPU and Memory as they are usually good indicators.

Last edited by blaze_125; August 3, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old August 3, 2012, 01:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze_125 View Post
Could be the Indexing service running in the background slowing everything down to a crawl.

Ctrl + Shift + ESC to open Task manager.
Look at the Processes running and see if one or more process are taking lots or resources. Keep an eye on CPU and Memory as they are usually good indicators.
Was keeping an eye on the CPU/RAM usage, everything was normal. Don't know exactly why would the indexing service work it so hard, having installed windows countless times on countless machines, this is the first time I encounter it.

Edit: After a few hours it feels actually more responsive... hope it was something temporary.

Last edited by GT7R; August 3, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old August 3, 2012, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

what I would do is test all of your ram, and if it is all ok then a back up which ever files you want to back up and then format the drive, re-install windows because to me is sounds like an OS problem or even a virus, malware or what ever. everyone keeps talking about SSDs I wouldn't buy another one unless I ran out of normal hard drives the only thing that I have ever noticed on any of the SSDs I have owned is boot time speeds everything else is marginable once everything has booted up then nothing should be that slow unless you have a whole pile of things running in the back ground. I remember windows xp always needed to be reinstalled after a while just so tha tit would speed up back to where it was supposed to be, then I got rid of xp and installed windows server2003 enterprise and I never had any speed problems again, I ran that until windows 7 came out I probably would still run it. hmm that makes me think that I should install that on my laptop along sign aall my Unix based OSs.
Old August 7, 2012, 07:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Don't know exactly why would the indexing service work it so hard, having installed windows countless times on countless machines, this is the first time I encounter it.
The indexing service has been my slow down on every fresh install of Win7.

Quote:
Edit: After a few hours it feels actually more responsive... hope it was something temporary.
As in "it's done indexing"?
Maybe...
Old August 7, 2012, 08:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Maybe you just need to "Reset DMA" Use Imgburn to do that.
Attached Images

Old August 7, 2012, 08:54 AM
Top Prospect

Hardware wise, it could be a failing hard drive. Hard drives do sometimes fail slowly and weird slowdowns can be a symptom of this. I'd trying installing the OS to another drive and see if that helps at all.

I've also seen bad memory cause unexpected slowdowns without actually crashing the system before. Might be worth running a check or pulling some of the memory and testing with just each stick.