Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2012, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

to me any of the SSDs I have used had very little noticeable improvement I am not talking about benchmarks just what I noticed is that boot times where quick other then that there is no noticeable differences. as for gaming performance most games use more of the Video card then anything else also I would guess that it would depend on the games age and such. that 24 gigs of ram is way way over kill I have 12 gb ram and I doubt that I use 1/3 of it when I have a game running with a couple vms, plus downloading all in the back ground.
Old July 31, 2012, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

do you mind taking a screen shot of your device manager with all the (+) tabs clicked something tells me a windows driver is where a real one should be. or your using the anti virus from hell haha
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old July 31, 2012, 03:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
to me any of the SSDs I have used had very little noticeable improvement I am not talking about benchmarks just what I noticed is that boot times where quick other then that there is no noticeable differences. as for gaming performance most games use more of the Video card then anything else also I would guess that it would depend on the games age and such. that 24 gigs of ram is way way over kill I have 12 gb ram and I doubt that I use 1/3 of it when I have a game running with a couple vms, plus downloading all in the back ground.
Your doing something wrong then.. :P

On the SSD, it will make anything on it MUCH more responsive (loading times etc)
I agree though that for games an SSD is definitely not the main thing to invest in..

On the ram.. 24 GB is overkill... 8 GB is enough for nearly everyone at the moment.. but Ideally for you I would have suggested 4x4GB as you have a QDR system.
Running skype, Steam, Origin, Live messenger, 11 tabs in browser, media player and a couple of explorer windows, sticky notes (and a couple of gadgets) I'm using about 2.5GB ram..
That can go up to 5GB in demanding games and lots of stuff open at the same time.. but still doesn't ever max out..

With Vm's it really depends on whats running on them (os and application wise)
Old August 1, 2012, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
do you mind taking a screen shot of your device manager with all the (+) tabs clicked something tells me a windows driver is where a real one should be. or your using the anti virus from hell haha
I know it seems silly, but if he forgot to install his motherboard drivers, than that would cause extremely poor performance.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 1, 2012, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I know it seems silly, but if he forgot to install his motherboard drivers, than that would cause extremely poor performance.
Part of my job is troubleshooting, so 90% of the time its something simple.

Such as when a customer comes in yelling that their new 680 is super slow and games say its not compatible, they bring in the tower and I see (Standard VGA Card) I install the driver and their off to the races, or systems with optimus but the customer updated a nvidia driver and all their games are now only playing on the intel on board gpu.

Aren't computers grand
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old August 1, 2012, 10:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjac0bmichaelX View Post
Sorry, I upgraded from a ASUS P5QPL-VM EPU LGA 775 Motherboard and Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz with stock fan. And OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800.

No bench-marking done, but gaming and just multitasking seems maybe even worst now.

I just feel like the new socket + X79 chipset should be overwhelmingly different with that much ram and OS running on a Corsair Force GT SSD.

Am I bottle-necked somewhere? Maybe some settings are incorrect in BIOS? I feel like it shouldn't have none responsive programs while only doing a few things at once? Also has slow boot....

I have an older E8400 and also decided to wait on upgrading. I love this old rig and won't need a new one for some time imo... The E8500 was/is one awesome CPU... I just added an SSD to keep it going longer :) Have a 3870 as well, lol...
Old August 2, 2012, 04:40 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Is nobody out there just an enthousiast?! Do I have to be making rendering PIXAR home movies to want insane performance? I'm just a young mechanical engineer with too much money. Running CAD programs like SolidWorks got me into PC building, now I really don't use it anymore for that. I also used to do 3D animations with CAD and computational fluid dynamics. Anyways...

I know 24Gigs is overkill for surfing the web. But half of you are saying to buy another stick to run quad?

The psu is getting old, I probably should replace it soon but I don't think anything is under-powered here.

I installed the mobo drivers from the disk, other than that it's a good chance windows put in a generic one somewhere.

Device Manager Pic 1
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7V...3BKVXB4QzY3cTA

Device Manager Pic 2
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7V...XplbTl6aFc4SzQ
Old August 2, 2012, 04:41 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entilza View Post
I have an older E8400 and also decided to wait on upgrading. I love this old rig and won't need a new one for some time imo... The E8500 was/is one awesome CPU... I just added an SSD to keep it going longer :) Have a 3870 as well, lol...
Starting to think that WAS a sick chip... Building a rig for my GF with the old components now.
Old August 2, 2012, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

one rule of thumb is to "Not " use the drivers off of the cd but to go to the Website and download the newest drivers.
Old August 3, 2012, 07:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your device manager screenshots look fine to me although I'm not familar with the "Asmedia" controller. Gaming is for sure bottlenecked by the GPU, and for "multitasking" I'd look to software / BIOS / partition alignment issues on the SSD.
For surfing the Internet and "general use" however, if you heavily OC'd the E8400, the difference in performance won't be much (e.g. 1.0 seconds to load a browser with lots of tabs instead of 1.5).

You'll really have to be more specific as to where things feel slower: Startup of applications? Choppy graphics on the desktop while not gaming?

Tags
2011 , 3820 , gene , x79 , xspc