Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

I can guarantee you that system is far better in many aspects of what you started with.

Tho the 24gb of ram unless needed was WAY overkill.
Old July 30, 2012, 04:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

First thing I would pint to is the old thermaltake power supply...never understand people dropping a grand on a new system, only to use a 4 year old PSU to power it.
Old July 30, 2012, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
First thing I would pint to is the old thermaltake power supply...never understand people dropping a grand on a new system, only to use a 4 year old PSU to power it.
Because then they can buy ALL the good stuff and forget about the MOST important part of the system. The heart and soul.
Old July 31, 2012, 06:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree with the above. Get a new and better PSU. That alone, will make a huge difference.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 31, 2012, 09:00 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure SSD is running most recent firmware.

Old July 31, 2012, 09:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

and make sure your running QUAD channel ram not triple channel. That could be another cause along with the weak psu
Old July 31, 2012, 11:00 AM
MVP

How is a PSU going to improve his performance? Increase reliablity absolutely, make for better overclocks, yes, but increase performance? You'll have to explain that one. I can understand that it seems you don't have any increase in performance if all you are doing is web surfing or light use (word processing/excel, etc). Most tasks are still single threaded and a single core chip running at 3ghz won't perform single threaded tasks any slower than a 6 core chip at 3ghz. If you are basing the performance on the fact Facebook doesn't load any faster then you are correct the upgrade didn't provide any performance increase. If you are ripping music or encoding video or something that will utilize all those cores and that great new architecture you will guaranteed see performance increase.

And 24GB RAM is wayyy overkill. LOL
Old July 31, 2012, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post
How is a PSU going to improve his performance? Increase reliablity absolutely, make for better overclocks, yes, but increase performance? You'll have to explain that one. I can understand that it seems you don't have any increase in performance if all you are doing is web surfing or light use (word processing/excel, etc). Most tasks are still single threaded and a single core chip running at 3ghz won't perform single threaded tasks any slower than a 6 core chip at 3ghz. If you are basing the performance on the fact Facebook doesn't load any faster then you are correct the upgrade didn't provide any performance increase. If you are ripping music or encoding video or something that will utilize all those cores and that great new architecture you will guaranteed see performance increase.

And 24GB RAM is wayyy overkill. LOL
Every component in his Pc takes proper power to run properly. When you consider the RAM,Video card,sound card CPU,fans etc. etc.,it stands to reason it takes more clean power.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 31, 2012, 12:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Lol his video card is a 4870 with 1GB. There is your problem..
Old July 31, 2012, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada2005 View Post
Lol his video card is a 4870 with 1GB. There is your problem..
Yes and no... In game yes... but if it's just multi-taking desktop stuff or other programs then it should be much faster than his old rig...

Single thread or not a new CPU is better clock for clock than an old single / dual / quad core..

Tags
2011 , 3820 , gene , x79 , xspc