Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2012, 10:33 PM
Rookie

Default Computer freezes in game...

I've built a custom pc about a year and a half ago, and it was working just great! But now, Whenever I play games, even 2d games, it sometimes freezes. If I'm lucky, it won't freeze. This has been happening only during gaming. I need to know what is causing the freezing. Also, when it freezes, the sound is distorted so it sounds like a buzzing sound.

Specs:
Motherboard: Biostar TH55 HD
CPU: Intel Core i3 540 at stock speed (3.07ghz)
Ram: 2X2gb Kingston Hyper X Blu 1600
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics
Hard Drive: Just an average Seagate 500gb hard drive
Power Supply: Xigmatek NRP-PC402 400-watt 80 plus bronze

Last edited by fruitbowl33; July 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to type something in
Old July 28, 2012, 05:49 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I can think of two things.
1. On the off chance that you video driver have become corrupted, I would update them to the latest driver for your Intel graphics chip.
2. When is the last time you took a can of air and cleaned out the inside of the case? Again this is a shot in the dark, but if you are in a very dusty area or have pets that shed a lot you may have your fans in your case being clogged with dust and hair causing the components to overheat and freeze your games.

I still doubt and of these are the real culprit but they can't hurt to check. Anyone else want to chime in with something I may have missed?
Old July 28, 2012, 06:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Memtest and check your ram.
Old July 28, 2012, 07:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

heat sounds like a likely culprit.. especially IF it's gotten progressively worse (though that can go the same for hardware failure.)
Old July 28, 2012, 09:46 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
heat sounds like a likely culprit.. especially IF it's gotten progressively worse (though that can go the same for hardware failure.)
Agreed, hardware failure can cause that over time. My wife's computer had the same problem with caps on the motherboard degrading and bulging. Another possiblity is to purchase a really really really cheap video card to test out software/graphics related problems(make sure of the retuen policy if you don't want to keep it afterwards).

The only other option I can think of at the moment is the dreaded re-install of Windows. If you do that and you still have the problem then it's almost certainly a hardware issue. The memory test is a very good idea. If all of that show up clean then it's a possibility that it might be the motherboard or the PSU. Keep in mind that these are worst case scenarios and it may turn out to be something simple. But be prepared incase it does turn out for the worse.
Old July 28, 2012, 03:03 PM
Rookie

Okay thanks , I will try the memory test. I did on the the BIOS but it said nothing was wrong. Should I use memtest? I'm also suspecting that my cpu is over heating since there are graphics built in there as well.
Old July 28, 2012, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitbowl33 View Post
Okay thanks , I will try the memory test. I did on the the BIOS but it said nothing was wrong. Should I use memtest? I'm also suspecting that my cpu is over heating since there are graphics built in there as well.
Memtest is better than the bios test.

MSI Afterburner to check GPU temps
RealTemp to check CPU temps
Old July 28, 2012, 06:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I would say heat as well, almost always the issue i find when a computer runs great for a long time then suddenly starts freezing during games ( especially since your using the integrated video)
Old July 28, 2012, 07:26 PM
MVP

CPU heat sink properly set?

Guess you could try running prime to see if that locks the pc up.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old July 29, 2012, 05:05 AM
Rookie

Another thing to ask, are you using an aftermarket CPU cooler or the one provided with the CPU.