Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2012, 08:33 PM
Rookie

Default CPU Fan Error!

Hello everybody,

Thank you in advance for all your help. Hardware Canucks have served me well in the past.

About 4 months ago I purchased a computer for video editing with Adobe Pr & AE from NCIX.com. The computer was delivered to me pre assembled and seemed to work fine for months, although the fan was louder than normal than my previous computers. Being the first "powerful" computer I have purchase I assumed it just needed louder fans to keep the more powerful PC cool.

I was using Adobe Premiere when the computer completely froze up. I could not move the mouse and I could not even ctrl + alt + del to pull up the task manager or restart. The computer was completely frozen. I had to hold down the power button to force a shut down.

When I restarted the computer after powering it down, a screen came up that said “CPU Fan Error! Press F1 to Run SETUP” The exact text on the screen was as below:

ASUS Sabertooth X79 ACPI BIOS Revision 0604
CPU Intel (R) Core ™ i7-3930K CPU 3.2 GHz
Speed 1200 MHz
Total Memory: 32768 MB (DDR3 – 1333)
USB Devices Total: 0 Drive, 1 Keyboard, 2 mice, 2 Hubs
Detected ATA/ATAPI Devices...
DATA Port 1: ST1000DM003-9YN162
DATA Port 2: ST2000DM001-9YN164
CPU Fan Error!
Press F1 to Run SETUP

When I went into the BIOS Utility – EZ Mode and looked at the fans, 3 of the 5 fans were in RED as if to say there was an error or a warning. Under “Fan Speed”, it was listed as follows:

CPU FAN 491 RPM (in RED)
CHA FAN1 769 RPM (in BLUE)
CHA FAN3 428 RPM (in RED)
CHA FAN4 451 RPM (in RED)
PCH FAN 3080 RPM (in BLUE)

When I booted the computer and started it up, it would seem to run fine. Until I started to use Adobe Premiere, then it would freeze up again after about 5 min. I would not be able to move the mouse or ctrl+alt+del. I would have to hold down the power to force a shut down. This happened a few times in a row where it would freeze after starting Adobe Premiere for about 5 min. Then I stopped attempting to work.

This is my first computer like this so I am not sure how to solve these type of issues. I definately do not know too much about the hardware side of things. I need to use Adobe Premiere for my work. If anybody can give me advice it would be greatly appreciated.

My computer specs are as follows if this makes a difference:

Windows 7 Professional
RAM 32 GB
System Type: 64 bit OS
Processor: i7-393K CPU
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X70

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
Old July 19, 2012, 08:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

400 RPM is really slow speed for a CPU fan that would be why they are in red , sounds like a fan is either dieing or maybe its full of dust bunnies . I am guessing there is no physical fan controller. when you go in to the BIOS can you turn the fans up high ?

I would open it up and check for functionality of the fan and I would not try and run it other then in the BIOS to see if it is maybe turned down for some reason .
Old July 19, 2012, 08:59 PM
Allstar

I say it's overheating. The fan speeds are far too low and a warning saying CPU Fan Error mean either something is stopping the fan from spinning or that's something wrong with your computer. Email NCIX for a service request since opening it yourself may void the warranty.
Old July 20, 2012, 05:15 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The issue is the ASUS BIOS unfortunately. Currently its stock CPU heatsink fan profiles are completely hooped. What you have to do is disable said profiles by going into the Advanced Mode and click on the Monitor tab:

Set the items as you see in the image above UNTIL you get to the CPU Fan Speed Low Limit. Set this to 1000RPM.

Then go to the CPU Fan Profile and ensure it is set to anything ABOVE Standard.
Old July 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
Rookie

Thank you very much for you feedback. I do have a couple questions though.

Quote:
The issue is the ASUS BIOS unfortunately. Currently its stock CPU heatsink fan profiles are completely hooped.
All of my hardware is still under warranty. When you say it is completely hooped, should I be trying to get my money back?

As well, 3 of the 5 fans I was able to view were in the red. as below:

CPU FAN 491 RPM (in RED)

Can I/Should I be setting a low limit for any of the other fans that were highlighted red as a warning?
Old July 20, 2012, 09:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

no I think he is saying that the software is buggy not that it is a defective part . just follow the instructions and you should be fine .
Old July 20, 2012, 10:07 AM
Rookie

Thanks!

Can I/Should I be setting a low limit for any of the other fans that were highlighted red as a warning?
Old July 20, 2012, 10:51 AM
Rookie

and By the way... The screen shot was awesome. For a new-b like me it makes all the difference. I was looking at that screen last night so I am becoming more familiar with it. If it was explained with words only, I may have been lost. But with the screen shot I am confident I can make the recommended adjustments. So I only have one last questions

3 of the 5 fans I was able to view were in the red. as below:

CPU FAN 491 RPM (in RED)

Thanks again to everybody who has responded. This forum has helped me out immensely!
Old July 20, 2012, 08:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The issue is the ASUS BIOS unfortunately. Currently its stock CPU heatsink fan profiles are completely hooped. What you have to do is disable said profiles by going into the Advanced Mode and click on the Monitor tab:

Set the items as you see in the image above UNTIL you get to the CPU Fan Speed Low Limit. Set this to 1000RPM.

I was unable to the CPU Fan Speed Low Limit to 1000RPM. The options available are in a drop down menu that max out at 600 RPM. That is the highest available option in the drop down menu and I could not type in a value.

Is there a way that I can enter a value into this field?

Quote:
The options in the CPU Fan Profile were Standard, Silent, and Ultra (If I remember correctly)

I am not sure what you mean by ABOVE Standard. Should I choose Ultra?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Old July 21, 2012, 05:56 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Low Limit = 600

CPU Fan Profile = Turbo

Also, I am not sure how familiar you are with your computer but you could also open the side of your case and ensure the wire running from your CPU fan is actually plugged into the fan header on your mobo called "CPU_FAN".