Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2012, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

3 things as have been said already...

1: What are the ambient temperatures like? Obviously the warmer the room the less effective the cooling will be.

2: How your machine is set-up.. there may not be good air-flow, although with that case you should be fine, even if it was a rats-nest with cables.

3: re-mount the cooler.. When you take it off, make sure that it was making full contact to the cpu (the thermal paste will be squished on it and the cpu in the same pattern)
Clean the paste off, make sure there is no plastic cover anywhere on the cooler (seen this a few times, only plastic should be fans/clips)
When re-applying the paste, use a small amount, about half the size of a pea or the size of a cooked grain of rice..
Press the cooler down onto the CPU.. check that the full area of the cpu has been covered.. if it has not been fully covered then add a TINY bit more in the middle of the area not covered.. Too much paste is as bad as too little.

post pics of the inside of your case too but you may have just gotten unlucky and got a hot running chip (though it is far from dangerous)
Old July 20, 2012, 02:57 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all your replies guys, sadly I have no clue on how to fix my computer components. Mainly the difficult ones such as inserting the cpu chip and mounting the cooler. I got the shop where I bought it from to help me fix it so I have to give that a miss. However I will take a picture and post it soon. It does seem as though it is kinda cramped inside the casing.

My temps while gaming go to a max(not average) of 62(c) Graphics card and processor I can't recall but I think it was 64(c) for gaming quite a long while maybe 2 hours or even more... This is ok right? as I do have turbo enabled and it can reach to 3.9ghz maxing out all the time since I run games @ the max settings, for example bf3 @ ultra @ 1680x1050 which I heard can stress your cpu.
Old July 20, 2012, 03:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

70c would be fine.. any higher and then START to worry..

You could try changing the fan profile so that it will spin faster at lower temps (therefore increasing the cooling) if you want to try that..
Old July 20, 2012, 08:45 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
70c would be fine.. any higher and then START to worry..

You could try changing the fan profile so that it will spin faster at lower temps (therefore increasing the cooling) if you want to try that..
That would have to be done in BIOS am I right? I'll post my pictures tomorrow or Sunday as I am not going to be home..
Old July 20, 2012, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

yep.. or there are some tools out there so you can control it like a GPU fan (like in afterburner etc)

Not had to do this in a LONG time so no idea what current ones are.
Old July 23, 2012, 05:06 AM
Rookie

Ok finally had some time to take 2 pictures lol..

I have noticed while im using google chrome with youtube,facebook and about 4 to 10 other tabs running, my processor temp can spike to 40 - 45 (c) from an avg of 37-38(c) for 1-2 seconds and drop back down.. is this ok?? I am feeling really worried that it was wrong of me to have gone for the ivybridge or 1) my cpu cooler is not properly installed or not doing its job, 2) my intel chip hasnt been applied thermal paste properly from the shop that fixed the cpu and cooler onto my mobo(unlikely) or 3) i need to reseat the cooler which will be a new adventure to me but i wouldn't mind trying. my temps average at 60(C) gaming at stock speeds with turbo boost @ 3.9ghz.. kinda disappointing to see the coolermaster not helping..