Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2008, 04:58 PM
Rookie

Default New build wont start at all

Hello guys,
First time builder here, I've just received the last part and started building the PC, 9 hours later it was done but it wouldn't start at all. Here are the specs:
Q6600
Evga Nforce 780i
Evga E-GEFORCE 8800GT
Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 120MM Fan 2X PCI-E
Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 Heatsink [which was a pain to work with]
OCZ Platinum XTC PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-4-4-15 DDR2 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

What happens is, when powered up the blue light on the mobo would turn on, then when the power switch is hit, an orange led with light up, a red led and a green led would blink once. no beeps or anything moving [the fans twitch for a split sec when the power switch is hit as they are about to start running]

after many consultations, looks like the CPU is probably DOA. I'm also suspecting the PSU to be a part of it.

PS: on the mobo, there are 4 pins for a cpu fan, but the fan I'm using is just a regular 120 mm fan with 3 pins; however plugging that fan or the 4pin fan/heatsink that came with the CPU doesn't make a difference that I can see...

there isnt much trouble shooting I can do, almost all the parts of the new build is not compatible with my old PC

any advice is appreciated, should I take it to a technician to pinpoint the problem so I can RMA what i need?

Many thanks
Old April 12, 2008, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

It is VERY rare for a CPU to be DOA. Try a different powersupply if you have one. It could also be the board. Check to make sure everything is plugged in and installed correctly as well. Maybe there is somehting behind the board causing a short?

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old April 12, 2008, 05:18 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Follow this: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ery-guide.html.

CPU DOA? I doubt it. I've had PSUs, boards and Ram sticks die on me, but never a CPU.

edit: Based on Cptn's reply, if the 10-steps don't work, take the board out and try to start it outside the case. Also try different combinations of Ram sticks and slots.
Old April 12, 2008, 05:26 PM
MVP

Talking

Well its doubtful that two separate parts were doa out of their respective packages at the start.
Why not put the oem cpu heat sink fan assembly back on and see how that goes.
Thats assuming its lock mounting isn't damaged or impaired.
you prolly have to clean and re apply the heat sink thermal compound again unless lucky.
if you can get it to fire then load the cmos bios defaults.for now.
Its often best to get it running stock first as opposed to mounting extraneous devices on a first newb build.
There are so many things it could be so you have to check over everything.
All wiring and mountings plug ins etc.
its almost impossible online to account for anything during your build...one can't look over your shoulder.
Also if you are working in sock feet...loose the socks..no sense aiding static
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old April 12, 2008, 06:04 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys,
I was able to connect the New PSU into my old PC and gave the same results. So I guess it is the problem I cant test any of my other PSU's on the new PC because they appear to have an 8-pin connector which the 780i board seems to need..
Old April 12, 2008, 06:09 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I believe you can connect a 4pin connector in the corresponding slots of an 8pin board connector. I'm searching to confirm this.

edit: yup, you can use a single 4pin connector in that 8pin board connector. The plug should be keyed (a notch in it) that only fits in one location. If not, compare the pin-outs of your mobo and PSU. Match up the +12V and GND lines and plug it in there. It will probably be on either side, not the middle.
Old April 12, 2008, 09:54 PM
Rookie

Just a brain fart but..... the switch on the back of the psu is set to 115v not 220 right? (if there is a switch)
Old April 12, 2008, 09:59 PM
MVP
F@H

Ok this may be a possible.

You may have the jumper connections from your power button connected to the LED jumpers on the mother board and vise versa. Check with your Mobo manual to ensure you have all your small 1 pin jumpers connected properly. My guess is when yo hit the power button you are making just making you HDD LED light up, not actually giving power to the system.

On the other hand I could be out to lunch.
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old April 13, 2008, 04:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The PSU voltage should be set to 115v for North American power supplies. If you tried to power up with the switch set to 220V in a country using 110V the system would be ok when you correct the voltage. If you tried running on 110V in a 220V country you would probably blow a fuse in the supply (at the least), or damaged the supply and possibly other components.

Its times like these I wish you guys lived around the corner and I just come and look at the pc and honestly was working with thermalright Ultra 120extreme that difficult? I guess if you're a first time builder that would be quite the task the only thing I found annoying was getting the fan clips to fit in the little holes along the side, however I do have an AM2 board and socket 775 boards do require you install the back bracket and I didn't have to do that so you might say it was a little easier application on an AM2 platform. Its a beast but a heck of cpu cooler and honestly worth the hassle if you want good temps and better overclocking.

I don't know much about Corsair and powersupplies I thought they sold Memory products and honestly that combination its like Antec selling memory products I would be a little weary about that. If you end up returning that powersupply look at either Antec or PC&Power Cooling either one you can't go wrong it will ultimately come down to price in the end.
Old April 13, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho-Designs View Post
Thanks guys,
I was able to connect the New PSU into my old PC and gave the same results. So I guess it is the problem I cant test any of my other PSU's on the new PC because they appear to have an 8-pin connector which the 780i board seems to need..
I had the same symptoms when I replaced a old TT PSU in the wifes rig, it seams (SKYMTL Pointed this out)that my floppy drive had a short in it that the older PSU wouldn't detect but the newer PSU would, consequently it shut down the system.
Try POSTing with minimal hardware plugged in as per sswilson's guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton