Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
Rookie

Default ASUS GTX 680 DirectCu II TOP Severe Lag Problem

Hello,

I recently managed to grab a GTX 680 DirectCu II TOP video card.

I am upgrading from an Ati HD 4890 XT. Power Supply -- Corsair TX650 -- There are 4 HDD / 1 DVD Writer attached along with an H60 closed loop water cooler. 4 x 120 mm fans, 1 x 120mm water cooler fan and 1 x 20 cm fan. Apart from the power going to the mobo. I believe the TX650 is capable enough of supplying power to all these components as well as the video card.

However, when i plugged in my ASUS GTX 680 DirectCu II TOP there was a ridiculous amount of lag. The windows logo upon restart took a significant amount of time to go away before I could login to my user account. Windows in general was responding extremely slowly.

I found this a bit weird because usually there is lag when you have a video card without the driver attached but it has never been this bad. But wrote it off as a driver problem and went to the nVidia site to grab the latest stable driver. Once installed and computer restarted...nothing changed the lag was just as bad. I tried a beta driver, the problem still persisted.

At this point i thought maybe my old amd driver was conflicting and removed all traces of amd driver from my system this changed nothing. Tried other beta driver, nothing changed.

I did a littler research and found that dust in the slot might cause this. However cleaning there (no dust found) did not yield improved results.

Is there something I'm missing? Are there extra steps i should take?

Also Note: Once i plugged my old ati card back in, lag was gone. Only nVidia drivers installed no amd at all.
Old July 12, 2012, 12:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Try updating the BIOS for your mobo. Wipe ALL the drivers and let windows use it's own generic one, and only when that will work install the nVidia drivers.
Old July 12, 2012, 01:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What did you use to clean the driver out when you switched?

Really does sound like driver issue but from there it could be as said above possible bios issue.. Whats the spec's of the machine (mobo cpu etc)

Have access to another machine that you could try the 680 in?
As you have so many HDD's, would it be possible to do a fresh install (just basic install and drivers) to see if it helps... if it does then you have narrowed it to driver issue.
Old July 12, 2012, 06:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

also helps to give full system spec's when having issues eg. MB model with its revistion if has one , don't confuse with with bios version for are totally different. if bios needs to be updated do it in DOS boot only not windows box
Old July 12, 2012, 07:22 AM
Rookie

@Dzzope: Is there something i should have used to wipe the amd drivers? I ran the amd driver software and it gives the option to uninstall everything. Apart form that i made sure that no amd/ati services were running in msconfig.

As for my full system config...

Intel Core i7 920
MB: Sapphire Pure Black x58 (I know....not the best choice for a mobo but for 1 card it shouldn't be giving this sort of problem) I do not know of any revisions..
Ram: 24GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance

Let me know if i need to provide any other details.
Old July 12, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

PB-CI7S41X58 mb looks only sleep mode update
Old July 12, 2012, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

cccleaner, driversweeper. There should be some old posts with more advice on this, too tired atm, going to bed. :)
Old July 13, 2012, 05:52 AM
Rookie

Well i returned the last card as defective new one should be arriving in a few days. So we'll do some trouble shooting then given there are actually problems. My hope is that it was just the card...especially considering the ati card worked perfectly as soon as i plugged it back in. There weren't even any amd drivers installed just nvidia one's and it worked fine. No lag at all.

I'll use the software you recommended to wipe the drivers. A friend suggested using the clear cmos button on my mobo and then giving the new card a shot.

Last edited by SyncTek; July 13, 2012 at 06:53 AM.