Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2012, 07:36 PM
Banned

Default Green lined screen of death?

For the last week or so now been randomly getting this in which i see my external modem still funtion as normal, stuff play in the background if i had music or ventrilo running normaly thru my headphones:

In that timespan I'v had it 1 day in a 6 hr timespan do it 2 times .... then did it once again 2 days later & now 5-6 days since it last did it, just did it again.

Each time on restarting the pc with the reset button, windows boots normaly & not registers any notification of there being any kinda failure of hardware or what not.

So far this reminds me of the problem i use to have last summer to which i suspect the chipsets maybe gettin overheated but the sensor never shows it over a max of 38c, and as soon as cooler temps come around it doesnt occure again. Might this possibly be a sign that my ssd maybe needs to execute its trash collection?

Thoughts? thanks
Old July 10, 2012, 07:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The most likely culprits is a bad cable or the monitor is going. Secondary would be the graphics card. No way would that be your SSD.
Old July 10, 2012, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
The most likely culprits is a bad cable or the monitor is going. Secondary would be the graphics card. No way would that be your SSD.
Yes I even thought maybe i could hook the hdmi cable into the card & get it to display out to my tv when this occures & nada.

Hmmmm would be odd to have this dell LCD show signs of failing after not even 2 yrs of having it.

thanks for the input so far Arinoth!!
Old July 10, 2012, 09:16 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah my best guess is the port (video or monitor end) is toast, cable is toast or the monitor is toast. Usually when a GPU gives that kind of screen...the OS panics and you get a lock up and everything STOPS working. Same for a bad mobo pci-e slot "issue".

Yank the monitor and try it on a dif system. Try a dif cable and IF possible a dif port. See if it still does it. IF it does...its the monitor. If not. Put one part of the equation back the way it was UNTIL the issue reappears. IF all that doesnt help...then yeah, then its on the gpu end of things. Nuke the drivers and try fresh. IF that doesnt work. try something like furmark and really stress it. OR yank and replace. Further down in unlikely but possible problems is the PCI-E slot has gone wonky. maybe just dust build up. While yanking the card and replacing with a known good card...clean it out with compressed air AND use a dif pice 16x slot....but do the basic stuff first in order I listed them. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yeah my best guess is the port (video or monitor end) is toast, cable is toast or the monitor is toast. Usually when a GPU gives that kind of screen...the OS panics and you get a lock up and everything STOPS working. Same for a bad mobo pci-e slot "issue".

Yank the monitor and try it on a dif system. Try a dif cable and IF possible a dif port. See if it still does it. IF it does...its the monitor. If not. Put one part of the equation back the way it was UNTIL the issue reappears. IF all that doesnt help...then yeah, then its on the gpu end of things. Nuke the drivers and try fresh. IF that doesnt work. try something like furmark and really stress it. OR yank and replace. Further down in unlikely but possible problems is the PCI-E slot has gone wonky. maybe just dust build up. While yanking the card and replacing with a known good card...clean it out with compressed air AND use a dif pice 16x slot....but do the basic stuff first in order I listed them. :)
thanks for your input as well even if i disagree with you at times AkG
Old July 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hi Terrybear

Have you checked the windows Event Viewer in Administrative Tools? This can help narrow down your troubles, it'll show what failed and when, just google the error code or come back to the forums for more assistance. You can also access the event viewer through software like S.I.S. free and Aida64/Everest.

Hope your prob isn't too serious...
Fungi
I am lost I can't even remember my name.

Old July 12, 2012, 02:09 PM
MVP

There isn't another computer and or monitor in the house to try swapping things around? If so..swap things around and see if the issue occurs. It might help you narrow down where to look.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!