Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2012, 12:01 PM
Rookie

Default Seated my H50 over and over, Still high temps

I have an i7 920 with a P6T v2 motherboard. I have a huge case with very good air flow. I have been getting very good temps for years on a 4ghz overclock. The cores would rarely go over 45C when idle. One day they decided to spike to around 60C so I disabled the overclock and im idling around 52C. I have re seated it about 5 times with 3 different pastes. I hear the pump kick in every time I boot the PC, I have been using it for a few years so I installed the stock Intel fan that came with it. Im getting the same high temps. I disabled HT and also installed a fresh windows 7 on an external drive to see if any programs was causing the problem. I still get the same high temps. It is very hot outside but that has never been a problem before. I know my temps arent dangerous but I would like to find the problem. Going from around 42C on a 4.0ghz overclock to 50C with all overclock disabled pisses me off.
Old July 8, 2012, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

h50 on a heat pig like the 920 really ain't going to cut it. But are those temps under load or not?
Also what fans are you running and what configuration?
Old July 8, 2012, 12:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Have you checked things like vcore and other voltage settings? Your board may be overvolting for some reason.
Old July 8, 2012, 12:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
h50 on a heat pig like the 920 really ain't going to cut it. But are those temps under load or not?
Also what fans are you running and what configuration?
the H50 has been doing the job though. Just recently I have been getting high temps. Those temps are idle. I have a 200mm fan on the side, 200mm fan in the front, 120mm as an exhaust and the H50 mounted on top. I have switched the H50 to the exhaust to see if it changed anything but still the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSdeadly1 View Post
Have you checked things like vcore and other voltage settings? Your board may be overvolting for some reason.
I set the vcore to auto for a while then I manually put in 1.000v to see if that would cool it down. That didnt do anything but I dont know how low the voltage goes on auto anyway. But I did just flash the bios so that reset everything and the temps are still the same.
Old July 8, 2012, 02:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10pmStalker View Post
the H50 has been doing the job though. Just recently I have been getting high temps
summer ambient maybe?

i never used a h50 or similar but maybe the pump is failling or liquid evaporated or something
Old July 8, 2012, 02:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
summer ambient maybe?

i never used a h50 or similar but maybe the pump is failling or liquid evaporated or something
I can hear the water kick in as soon as I power on the PC. Its not summer ambient since I never had a problem with it in the past summers. Im thinking it might be the chip since im getting really high temps with the stock Intel heatsink too. I took the chip out and cleaned it really good. It seems to be in perfect shape.
Old July 8, 2012, 03:24 PM
Rookie

Hmm very weird. Yah if the coolers are not at fault and vcore is lower then possibly might be MB or CPU. Sensors might be bad, how are the temps in bios same?
Old July 8, 2012, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

H50 is far from sufficient on a 920, mine idles at 60 degrees at stock speeds on my H50.
Old July 8, 2012, 04:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supeg View Post
Hmm very weird. Yah if the coolers are not at fault and vcore is lower then possibly might be MB or CPU. Sensors might be bad, how are the temps in bios same?
Yeah temps are also very high in the bios
Old July 8, 2012, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

DUMB question have you removed the protected film off waterblock