Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2012, 06:20 PM
Rookie

Yeah I have. I have been using the H50 for a few years and everything was just fine.
Old July 8, 2012, 07:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10pmStalker View Post
I can hear the water kick in as soon as I power on the PC. Its not summer ambient since I never had a problem with it in the past summers. Im thinking it might be the chip since im getting really high temps with the stock Intel heatsink too. I took the chip out and cleaned it really good. It seems to be in perfect shape.
i meant
the pump might be turning...doesn't mean its pumps the same volume like day 1

but you say you still get high temp with another cooling device than it's not the problem(my bad i overlook that part in your first post)

if you tried other cooling solutions and the problem persist than it's the CPU itself and there's not much you can do about it i guess

disable HT if you don't use multithread programs, that will probably set you back to your old temps

Last edited by mkultra; July 8, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old July 8, 2012, 07:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
i meant
the pump might be turning...doesn't mean its pumps the same volume like day 1

but you say you still get high temp with another cooling device than it's not the problem(my bad i overlook that part in your first post)

if you tried other cooling solutions and the problem persist than it's the CPU itself and there's not much you can do about it i guess

disable HT if you don't use multithread programs, that will probably set you back to your old temps
Yeah disabling HT was one of the first things I did. Didnt help at all.
Old July 8, 2012, 08:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

this is not happening I hope
H100......this looks bad.......
Old July 8, 2012, 08:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfglass View Post
this is not happening I hope
H100......this looks bad.......
If you read that thread you would see that the reason it seated poorly was because of interference with the capacitors. Now they could be having that issue only pics would tell.
Old July 8, 2012, 08:52 PM
Rookie

wow I hope I didnt crush any capacitors. Ive been turning the thing every which way trying to get the best fit not even thinking that would be a problem. gonna take it off right now and check.

Edit: I took the heatsink off. There were no crushed capacitors. I removed the thermal paste and put on a drop of AS5 (I always used to spread it) and just sat the H50 on it and pressed down while I powered up the PC so I can check the temps. Not the smartest thing but atleast I could keep an eye on the temps while I try to find the perfect seated position. Im sitting at 41C right now. Thats over 10C cooler but its not what it should be at. Been a while since I disabled my overclock but I think the temp was around 35C idle.

Thanks for the replys guys!

Last edited by 10pmStalker; July 8, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old July 8, 2012, 09:33 PM
Rookie

I also upgraded from a 620W power supply to a 850W. Do you guys think the 620W could have been blocking my full OC potential?
Old July 8, 2012, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10pmStalker View Post
wow I hope I didnt crush any capacitors. Ive been turning the thing every which way trying to get the best fit not even thinking that would be a problem. gonna take it off right now and check.

Edit: I took the heatsink off. There were no crushed capacitors. I removed the thermal paste and put on a drop of AS5 (I always used to spread it) and just sat the H50 on it and pressed down while I powered up the PC so I can check the temps. Not the smartest thing but atleast I could keep an eye on the temps while I try to find the perfect seated position. Im sitting at 41C right now. Thats over 10C cooler but its not what it should be at. Been a while since I disabled my overclock but I think the temp was around 35C idle.

Thanks for the replys guys!
Spreading thermal paste onto the cpu has been something long forgotten since the ollllllllld days. Now its a small "X" in the center or a pea/size amount in the center and let the heat sink flatten it out.