Specs are:
E8400
Striker II Formula
OCZ ReaperX 4Gb
BFG 8800GTX OC2
74Gb Raptor (OS)
2 x 150Gb Raptor (Games) RAID 0
500Gb Seagate (Storage)

I finally managed to install Vista Home Prem. 64, and get my hard drives recognized and initialized. I installed CoD4 on the RAID 0 dreives, and everything was working properly, but yesterday, while playing, it booted me to Windows, and windows proceeded to shut down (properly, though. It went to the "Shutting Down" screen), and reboot itself without prompting.

When it rebooted, I tried to start up CoD4 again using the shortcut on the desktop. It wouldn't load, and gave me a "missing file" prompt. I checked the "Computer" section, and was shocked to discover it wasn't recognizing my RAID array drives anymore. I checked the device manager, and the same thing. It was like the drive disappeared.

I've checked the bios, and it recognizes that I have drives plugged in, and the RAID controller (onboard) says the array is functioning and healthy, but Vista won't recognize that I have another drive.

I'm a little upset, as now I have ~$380 worth of drives taking up space and not doing much else.

Any ideas?
Old April 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well it doesn't appear to be a bios related issue but worth checking into, I don't know much about Vista installations as I have stayed far away from vista as possible with its numerous driver related issue and compatibility.

Do have the latest bios for your motherboard 1101?

Do have the 9.46 WHQL Raid driver package from Asus, you might try unistalling them to see if vista will detect the drives through the device connection prompting you for a driver then reinstalling the drivers provided from the asus download website.

I think if you can get vista to redetect the drives and install the drivers again it might solve the problem.
Old April 11, 2008, 12:33 PM
Allstar

this could be related to a sata cable is it isn't properly plug.

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old April 11, 2008, 01:10 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebdoradz View Post
this could be related to a sata cable is it isn't properly
plug.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iv:xx View Post
I've checked the bios, and it recognizes that I have drives plugged in, and the RAID controller (onboard) says the array is functioning and healthy, but Vista won't recognize that I have another drive.
An unplugged or partially plugged sata drive would not appear properly in Bios if at all. It would also break the raid array instantly as one of the hard drives models/size/etc has changed.

I agree with Eagle Eye, remove any and all raid drivers from your system, reboot, then try letting vista install them again and see what happens. Most system don't Need to have their chipset-specific drivers installed in windows for windows to recognize the array (My vista was running fine on a Raid 0 pair of Raptor 36g's with not extra drivers save the vista ones).
Old April 11, 2008, 03:14 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks guys, sounds good. My Mobo is 1101, so I'm good there, and like I said, the bios and onboard raid controller say the array is good, so I've been stumped there.

I'm kinda kicking myself for the Vista switch at this point. All these headaches aren't really worth the extra 1Gb of recognized ram at this point, I think.
Old April 11, 2008, 03:24 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
An unplugged or partially plugged sata drive would not appear properly in Bios if at all. It would also break the raid array instantly as one of the hard drives models/size/etc has changed.
ok, yeha an unplug sata cable wouldnt appear properly in bios

but it DONT break the raid array, i.Ve done this more then once on my both DFI rigs and all it have done, it was to refuse to boot ...

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old April 13, 2008, 04:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Any updates on the raid situation?
Old April 14, 2008, 04:11 AM
Top Prospect

Nothing to update yet. I've been having so many bloody problems with Vista, I'm going out to pick up a true copy of XP today. The switch was not worth the trouble. Hopefully XP will give me fewer issues.

On the plus side, I'm going to pick up my second 8800GTX as well, so that should be fun!
Old April 14, 2008, 04:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I imgaine XP will give you fewer issues and less headaches it doesn't look as nice as Windows Vista but i would trade that for less headaches any day.

keep us posted i am interest to hear if your problem might appear in xp,

ee
Old April 14, 2008, 10:29 PM
Top Prospect

Things seem to be sorted out, at least for now. I've installed a copy of XP Pro, and it went as smoothly as I could have asked for. I set up the RAID array again, and it wasn't initially recognized, but I just let windows search for the required drivers, and it installed perfectly. The drive is formatting as I type this.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone. Hopefully now that I've gone back to XP, things will progress as I'd like them to.

P.S. Vista can lick my sweaty balls. For realz.

P.P.S. I picked up a second 8800GTX, and SLI is working beautifully. Plus another juan for XP.