Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2008, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default reformatting

first time with this prob . i am reformatting a dell dimension e521 but when i get to the part to delete the old instalation it won't let me sayin files are needed. how can i delete the old instalation. it has a virus and needs to be reformatted. ive reformatted loads of pcs this is the first time ive had this prob
Old April 11, 2008, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What files is it telling you need?

Well in my experience with dell computers and formatting there was always just a button I would press like F1 to start the recovery program. If its asking you for files then you probably need the original installation disk or recovery disk that should of been provided to you with the system. All dells and most pcs alike have seperate partiition with the recovery program installed if you don't then you will need a WindowsXP/Vista installation CD and most likely do a clean install.

If all else fails give dell a call and I am sure one their many happy Techinical (I read this out of a book while assisting you) support agents will be able to help you.

Let us know,

EE
Old April 11, 2008, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

a clean instal with the original windows disc is what im trying to do. its not asking me for any files. when i get to the part where u press D to delete the old instalation to install a new copy it says cannot be deleted cause there is files need for the instalation.ive never had this prob before and i reformatted loads of pcs. i need to get the old windows instalation deleted because of a virus. if i can do this without havin to get on a stupid phone forever id be happy...i hate talkin on phones lol
Old April 11, 2008, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You might try something like Killdisk or download the Ubuntu live cd (fro free) like I did, just pop that in and format the HDD. Actually Ubuntu live CD has helped me out of a couple nasty Windows situations lately. I can't remember who recommended I get it but I am SOOO happy I did.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 11, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

thanx man i'll give that a try
Old April 11, 2008, 10:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

i tried Ubuntu but still can't get what i needs. all i really really want is to get the old instalation deleted so i can reinstal a fresh copy a complete clean reformat...this is a must need thing i have to get done,i can't stand bein on phones with customer support ppl who can't even speak english
Old April 11, 2008, 11:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LMAO Cmac I was thinking that exact same if dell has a chat support its works far better I did it with bell and avoided the whole "can't even speak english" scenario when I had to downgrade my internet it was great.
Old April 11, 2008, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac79 View Post
i tried Ubuntu but still can't get what i needs. all i really really want is to get the old instalation deleted so i can reinstal a fresh copy a complete clean reformat...this is a must need thing i have to get done,i can't stand bein on phones with customer support ppl who can't even speak english
Did you start gparted in Ubuntu? Did you try Killdisk? Could it be the drive is toast?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE