Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2012, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As mentioned earlier in enaberif's post you should install MSI afterburner, open the program, and then play a game with it running in the background until you notice the lag. Then exit the game and see what your GPU was doing. Afterburner will show you gpu usage, clock rates of GPU memory, core freq, shader freq, temps, fan speeds.......etc. With that info you will be able to see if the graphics card is throttling back.
Old July 3, 2012, 07:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
As mentioned earlier in enaberif's post you should install MSI afterburner, open the program, and then play a game with it running in the background until you notice the lag. Then exit the game and see what your GPU was doing. Afterburner will show you gpu usage, clock rates of GPU memory, core freq, shader freq, temps, fan speeds.......etc. With that info you will be able to see if the graphics card is throttling back.
Hey guys, yeah actually I did run MSI Afterburner, and I did run the DPC Latency application.

I followed-up on this forum with 2 replies with the results...but because my replies included hyperlinks or images or something, the HardwareCanucks.com forum system told me that my messages wouldn't be posted until a moderator approved it.

Please stand by, I assume the mods are just working on approving my stuff. Hopefully they'll appear soon, I have some interesting results (but you have to see my screenshots/result images for it to make sense)
Old July 4, 2012, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If the power cord says 10A 125V it should be good no matter the girth no?
Old July 4, 2012, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I missed the fact that you have a Xonar sound card, it's actually a really common driver issue with the Xonar line. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do except for trying third party drivers such as these: UNi Xonar brainbit

If latency is still high with onboard sound, it's likely another driver/game conflict. Trial and error and/or a reformat are pretty much the only ways to troubleshoot those.

The reason I doubt the PSU is because you have a pretty good quality Seasonic built unit, if something went wrong with it, you'd be complaining about a lot more than just poor performance in a few games.
Old July 6, 2012, 08:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
I missed the fact that you have a Xonar sound card, it's actually a really common driver issue with the Xonar line. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do except for trying third party drivers such as these: UNi Xonar brainbit

If latency is still high with onboard sound, it's likely another driver/game conflict. Trial and error and/or a reformat are pretty much the only ways to troubleshoot those.

The reason I doubt the PSU is because you have a pretty good quality Seasonic built unit, if something went wrong with it, you'd be complaining about a lot more than just poor performance in a few games.
Thanks for the tip about the 3rd party Xonar DX unified drivers. While my highest end games still have the poor video performance, the sound cracking is pretty much gone with those drivers. I will keep using those going forward.

I guess at this point I will have to reformat. When I get around to that next week, I will report back with results.
Old July 14, 2012, 01:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post

Well, I finally reformatted. Every lastest driver for every device installed.

And guess what

Still same inexplicable poor performance. I'm at my wits end
Old July 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
Top Prospect

I know it was mentioned but I don't see any response if you tried a different PSU yet? It does sound like a potential cause if the PSU is under supplying the system slightly. My experience with modern GPUs is that they seem capable of giving very poor performance yet still running when there are Power issues.