Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2012, 09:10 AM
Rookie

Default Certain games crash without fail. Help!

Hi all! I am fairly new here, so if I do something wrong, I apologize.
My issue is that my PC, a custom build, can play certain games on Steam, like Rayman Origins, Super Meat Boy and Penny-Arcade episode 3 without a problem, but as soon as I try and play Max Payne 3, Team Fortress 2 or Diablo 3 at max settings, the games will crash anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour of playing them.
Initially I thought it was a heat issue, but I downloaded CPUID HWMonitorPro and the temperature levels are all within the workable ranges. I then thought it was the RAM so I ran Memtest for 7 hours straight and it did 3 passes without finding an error. Could it still be the RAM?
Also, there is a possibility that a surge could have gone through the entire thing because I had to replace my initial motherboard after it failed to boot. I also had to replace my initial graphics card because it stopped working after about 3 days, though I wasn't experiencing this problem then. I replaced them both with the same part, an Asus P8Z68-V/Gen 3 board and a GeForce GTX 670 respectively.
Also, I have a Seagate Barracuda ST1500DM003 that I replaced because it was making a clicking sound. The replacement makes the same sound, but it doesn't sound good. Is there any way to check the power supply to see if maybe it is not sending the proper amount to the individual parts? I have a Rosewill LIGHTNING Series LIGHTNING-800 800W Continuous @50C,80 PLUS GOLD Certified PSU.
I am sorry for the massively long first post, but I simply cannot figure out what the problem is.
Thanks for the help! (Also, if you need to know any of my other parts, just let me know!)
Old July 2, 2012, 09:42 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Seagates are notorious for not liking some power supply's as they put more ripple out on their 12 or 5v lines. IE All seagates "chirp" (actually all hdds make certain amount of noise). When they start CLICKING...its usually a sign of voltage ripple. Its annoying but necessarily bad in the short term (usually kills em in the long term though). DL Seagates diagnostics, run the LONG test and see if the drive is good.

IF you are overclocking (cpu, ram and GPU)....run stock and see if the problem goes away. IF it does...it was a bad OC.

You ran multiple instances of memtest at the same time right? If you have 8GB...run 8 instances of it at once. Let it go OVERNIGHT (min 12hrs).

It is more than possible than a surge damaged the CPU or other parts. Always run a UPS and not just a surge protector (brown outs kill parts too!). Too late now...but always budget in 1bill for a good UPS in a new build.

DL and run prime95/linpak/etc and run it overnight (min 12hrs....24 is better....48 better still). See if it crashes.

IF doing all that comes back squeaky clean. Nuke the OS. Start from scratch. See if the problem goes away. If doesnt....damn. THEN its going to be trial and error. Take one part of the rig and try in another. Test to make sure its good. Rinse and repeat. IF everything is still looking good. Then its a wonky incompatibility. Start with the ram. Swap out the ram for something on the vendor approved list (or run the ram at lower speed and looser timings). I had a rig that hated Mushkin ram. Swapped it out for Corsair Vengeance LP "blue" and my random bsods went away....BUT the mushy ram is running happy as a clam in a dif rig for over 16mths now. ;)

Good luck!

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 2, 2012, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverix View Post
Hi all! I am fairly new here, so if I do something wrong, I apologize.
My issue is that my PC, a custom build, can play certain games on Steam, like Rayman Origins, Super Meat Boy and Penny-Arcade episode 3 without a problem, but as soon as I try and play Max Payne 3, Team Fortress 2 or Diablo 3 at max settings, the games will crash anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour of playing them.
Initially I thought it was a heat issue, but I downloaded CPUID HWMonitorPro and the temperature levels are all within the workable ranges. I then thought it was the RAM so I ran Memtest for 7 hours straight and it did 3 passes without finding an error. Could it still be the RAM?
Also, there is a possibility that a surge could have gone through the entire thing because I had to replace my initial motherboard after it failed to boot. I also had to replace my initial graphics card because it stopped working after about 3 days, though I wasn't experiencing this problem then. I replaced them both with the same part, an Asus P8Z68-V/Gen 3 board and a GeForce GTX 670 respectively.
Also, I have a Seagate Barracuda ST1500DM003 that I replaced because it was making a clicking sound. The replacement makes the same sound, but it doesn't sound good. Is there any way to check the power supply to see if maybe it is not sending the proper amount to the individual parts? I have a Rosewill LIGHTNING Series LIGHTNING-800 800W Continuous @50C,80 PLUS GOLD Certified PSU.
I am sorry for the massively long first post, but I simply cannot figure out what the problem is.
Thanks for the help! (Also, if you need to know any of my other parts, just let me know!)
Learn about paragraphing PLEASE.

Second you have a nice system and such a crappy power supply :( Why.
Old July 2, 2012, 01:28 PM
Rookie

How would I run multiple instances at once? I have 16gb of RAM.
Old July 7, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

bios Version 3402 2012.05.29 update P8Z68-V/GEN3
1.Improve Improve system stability.
2.Enhance compatibility with some USB devices

Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver what version?
Old July 7, 2012, 02:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

did you try to play your games who crashes with only 1 stick of ram?

that's the first i would try, memtest is so so with game crashes

i burned the memory controller on 2 different i7 and i had the same problems that you described
it doesn't mean it's that but worth a try
Old December 26, 2012, 08:47 PM
Rookie

I know this is super old, but I did fix the problem. Thank you for your help! It was a bad OS install. I haven't had a problem since I fixed it