AMD Phenom II X2 550(3.1GHz)
Processor Main Features
64 bit Dual Core Processor
2 x 512KB L2 Cache

4GB DDR3 1333

NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512MB

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

---------------------------------

I was gaming today just playing League of Legends and in the middle of the match my computer shut down. I restarted my computer, logged back into League and right before I re-entered the match it shut down again. I then tried to login to a different game on the third boot and same results. After this point the computer would shutdown as soon as windows loaded. When I tried to do a system fix it also shutdown. I opened the case and examined that it was a little dusty and the video card did feel hot. I then took out the video card and removed the dust. When putting the video card back into my system I was greeted with loud beeping, 4 loud beeps then a pause and then it repeats, over and over. I then proceeded to dust out the entire case and and remove the RAM and CPU with nothing connected and got the same POST Beeps. I moved the RAM, the removed all the dust and still get the same POST Beeps. The only time I was able to alter the Post Beeps was when I removed the CMOS battery. With the CMOS battery out and everything else intact the Post Beeps went to 3 long 1 short. Once the battery was replaced it returned to the 4 long beeps.

All combinations of 2 sticks of RAM, switching RAM slots or 1 stick of RAM w/ or w/o CPU and Video Card, removed always results in 4 long beeps and NO video (no onboard video though to check).

All FANs and LEDs are active on the video card, case and CPU.

I'm assuming the graphics card is fried and the BEEPS are a result of that and by replacing the video card it should silence the POST BEEPs and enable video once more, I've never fried a video card. I don't over clock my system so I'm not sure how or why it happened.
Old June 26, 2012, 11:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Could also be your power supply. I had one go on me recently and that was the same beep code.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:21 AM
Rookie

So the power supply could be down and unable to power the video card though it will still turn on and power all the fan and LEDs in the case? Is it more likely to be the power supply because the graphics card fan still runs?
Old June 27, 2012, 10:40 AM
Allstar

I haven't seen a problem like that before but don't forget the PCI-e slot does provide some power. It's possible that your PSU no longer provide enough juice to power the graphics card but just enough to make all the accessories turn on.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Xentrick View Post
So the power supply could be down and unable to power the video card though it will still turn on and power all the fan and LEDs in the case? Is it more likely to be the power supply because the graphics card fan still runs?
In my case all was working well then it progressively got worse, all case fans etc were running, hard drive spinning, but eventually it would not post. I multi metered the psu, all looked good. I went over everything umpteen times then changed out the psu and viola, it worked again.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:18 PM
Rookie

Hmmm mine has been working in perfect order since I ordered this prebuilt in 2009 off Newegg and then just died in a flash. Video card should be here in a day or twos time so hopefully that will amend the problem at hand. Thanks for your help (assuming the problem is fixed shortly =P )
Old June 29, 2012, 09:13 PM
Rookie

New graphics card installed and same POST BEEP code, if I switch the power supply to 115v to 230v and turn the computer on the POST CODE goes away but it still doesn't give a display. Obviously its not receiving the 230v from a typical home outlet but why would that effect the POST BEEPs and is it safe to say its the power supply?
Old June 30, 2012, 07:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Xentrick View Post
New graphics card installed and same POST BEEP code, if I switch the power supply to 115v to 230v and turn the computer on the POST CODE goes away but it still doesn't give a display. Obviously its not receiving the 230v from a typical home outlet but why would that effect the POST BEEPs and is it safe to say its the power supply?
When my psu went it was hard to conclusively troubleshoot. Unfortunately the only way to be sure is to replace psu.