Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2012, 12:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Home Server PC Issue.

Well, I'm getting several issues wiht my home server pc that's rather pissing me off right now.

Currently the original OS drive keeps booting to disk check, successfully completes it then stops a few seconds after it says it's loading windows and reboots into the whole ordeal.

Figured it was a dead/dying hard drive, though no click of death. I swapped in one of my known working HTPC hard drives, boots until I see it say it's loading windows, 1-2 seconds it in reboots the system and wants to do a start up repair (with nothing ever done/fixed).

Is it possible I have a dying/dead sata cable, power cable, or sata port, because I can't see a known working hdd doing this otherwise.

Update:
Just tried the following changes:
Different sata cable
Different power cable
Different Sata port

All yield the same results, I'm guessing it's moreso now something on the rest of the system's side. RAM, CPU or mobo (though the mobo part I would have though be the sata port)

Last edited by Arinoth; June 17, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old June 17, 2012, 03:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sounds like a windows problem.. What OS is it? Gonna guess Vista or 7 since XP will just blue screen in a different rig.

Try a repair disc for simplicity.
If you can, put the screwed up drive in a different computer, read its boot sector with EasyBCD and go from there. Might have to install the default BCD for your OS or something.
Old June 17, 2012, 03:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

They are both Windows 7, pulled a third Win 7 boot os drive I haven't touched in a long time (it was the sega genesis mod build drive) and I've successfully gotten into windows.
Old June 17, 2012, 05:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You got into windows from other drives, or the one with issues?
It doesn't really matter what other drives boot fine, it's the one with issues that is solely at fault.

Put it through chkdsk, a repair, a boot manager, something like that...
Old June 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I only got into windows on my third hard drive, the one that hasn't been used in 2 years and was originally in my Sega Genesis mod build
Old June 18, 2012, 06:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Before you got success with the third drive, my guess would have been sata controller. Really hard to say, odd problem and not an easy diagnosis.
Old June 18, 2012, 11:30 PM
MVP

Have you done any windows up..windows driver updates lately? And then this issue cropped up?

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old June 19, 2012, 03:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Not to my knowledge, have the third hdd updated to the most recent Windows patches and such now, no issues.
Old June 19, 2012, 02:09 PM
MVP

If this is anything like when my EVGA MB, I am thinking your MB is dying a slow death. It took 4-6 months for my EVGA MB to finally die. Every once in awhile the system would do some odd thing...one was it wouldn't boot into windows and then it would be something else (eventually it would go into windows after a few attempts). It could go many days ..maybe even a couple weeks before something happened.

Or it could be the PS dying slow. But I am leaning more towards MB.

Try putting one of the current suspected bad hard drives in it again and see if the system acts up again.

If it is the MB...you won't know for sure till it dies (I reckon). Perhaps it was 2 HD's that were the issue...only time will tell now.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy