Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2012, 05:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Download and install to USB or CD then boot computer off of it.
Alright, just ran malware bytes in safe mode and it found nothing. I am going to d/l memtest and try that.
Old June 15, 2012, 05:34 PM
Allstar

Good luck and keep us updated. There is still a slim chance you are infected. If, after you've run memtest and chkdsk and still have found nothing try Combofix. If that doesn't find anything then it's pretty safe to say your system is clean.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Good luck and keep us updated. There is still a slim chance you are infected. If, after you've run memtest and chkdsk and still have found nothing try Combofix. If that doesn't find anything then it's pretty safe to say your system is clean.
I'm running adaware in safe mode and so far there are 7 traces detected. Hopefully it found the problem that malware didn't.

EDIT: I put memtest on a USB and booted from the USB, but when it ends on the desktop, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to run this in safe mode?

EDIT 2: Not sure if memtest worked, but my internet is working and all the taskbar images are now working when they weren't before. Why is it working now all of a sudden? lol

Last edited by JoeOnePack; June 15, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old June 15, 2012, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

memtest didn't work, you would have seen it running for an hour

You need to tell your BIOS / UEFI to boot off the usb thumb drive
Old June 16, 2012, 12:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOnePack View Post
I'm running adaware in safe mode and so far there are 7 traces detected. Hopefully it found the problem that malware didn't.

EDIT: I put memtest on a USB and booted from the USB, but when it ends on the desktop, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to run this in safe mode?

EDIT 2: Not sure if memtest worked, but my internet is working and all the taskbar images are now working when they weren't before. Why is it working now all of a sudden? lol
Edit2 could be answered by your initial comment.

Edit1: you boot into memtest, not windows. then run it. you may have to check your boot priority as said above or if prompted press a key to select boot device or to boot from the device you have memtest on before windows ..
Old June 16, 2012, 07:16 AM
Allstar

Do you know what it found? Wether it was just cookies or actual infected file. I think I'd run Combofix just to be safe. Run in safe mode if possible.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 16, 2012, 07:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Do you know what it found? Wether it was just cookies or actual infected file. I think I'd run Combofix just to be safe. Run in safe mode if possible.
Pretty sure it was cookies related. I will run the other suggested tools tonight when I get back.

Thanks guys. Will keep you updated.