Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Problems installing Vista (missing windows\system32\hal.dll) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/5473-problems-installing-vista-missing-windows-system32-hal-dll.html)

iv:xx April 8, 2008 07:50 AM

Problems installing Vista (missing windows\system32\hal.dll)

This is long, so here's the cliffs...

- had pc running XP
- tried to install fresh copy of Vista on new drives
- constant BSoD's trying to boot new Vista GUI
- prompt telling me I'm missing hal.dll
- XP runs fine on new drives, so drives are not the problem
- can't find any help for fresh install on fresh drive, and can't figure out the problem
- ???
- profit

I recently put together a new system, and had everything running smoothly under a, well...less than authentic copy of XP Pro 32. This was fine, except I couldn't update anything, as XP was pre-Service Pack 1. I couldn't install my anti-virus software or update anything.

Specs on the stable machine were as follows:

E8400
Striker II Formula
4GB OCz ReaperX
BFG 8800GTX OC2
Seagate 500Gb 7200rpm drive

Fast forward to yesterday, and the beginning of my frustration. I purchased a Zalman 9500 cooler for the cpu, a Dualorb cooler for the GTX, and three new drives; one Raptor 74gb, and two Raptor 150Gb drives, as well as Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.

I installed both the coolers with no issues, and mounted the hard drives. The Striker BIOS recognized everything, and I set up the two 150's in a RAID 0 array. I proceeded to attempt to install Vista.

After finally getting the install program to recognize my 74gb Raptor (I want to use this drive solely for the OS), I got through the first stage of the install, and the PC restarted itself. The Windows logo with the scrolling bar appeared on the screen for a few seconds, then BSOD.

I restarted, and the same thing....as soon as Windows tries to start for the first time, BSOD.

I attempted to install on a different drive (the Seagate), went through the process, and again, at the same point, BSOD. I restarted, attempted to reinstall elsewhere, and before it went to the GUI from the "Press any key to boot from DVD" promps, BSOD.

Finally, it gave me a bit of a hint. As it attempted to boot from the harddisk, it came up that "windows\system32\hal.dll" was missing, and needed to be repaired before it would boot. In looking online, this was a common problem with XP, and most help said attempt to repair from the boot CD. I did this (when I finally got through to the install GUI), but was prompted that the CD did not contain the necessary fixes.

As it stands, I cannot boot my PC to Vista...it hangs as soon as it tries to load the graphical interface, and goes to BSOD. This seems to be a common problem, but I can't find any specific help for Vista, or for a fresh install.

I have since loaded XP on the same 74 Gb drive, and everything runs properly. It is obviously not the drive at fault.

I'm at a loss. Every online guide I've read has help for upgrades to XP, nothing for installing fresh on new drives. As I bought an OEM dvd, there is no upgrade from Vista option.

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance.

CMetaphor April 8, 2008 08:06 AM

Step 1: Collect Underpants

Step 2: Try the following: A) Can windows Vista start in safe mode? (F8 just just after the POST screen) B) Does windows start if you use "selective startup" and SKIP loading hal.dll ? C) If A & B don't work, try loosening your ram timings (for me, the most common cause of BSoDs) and see if it changes anything.

Step 3: Get back to me with the results of Step 2

Step 4:

Step 5: More Profit! (Who knows how? :shok:)

werty316 April 8, 2008 10:15 AM

Try installing Vista with only one stick of memory installed.

iv:xx April 8, 2008 03:35 PM

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll give it a try when I get home from work tonight. Hopefully...

Supergrover April 8, 2008 04:31 PM

Restore stock setting when you install, I have had install errors from a overclock that was perfectly stable.

enaberif April 8, 2008 05:02 PM

Use 2gb or 1gb of memory.

4gb of memory during install of Vista = headaches, BSODs and other nasties.

iv:xx April 8, 2008 08:45 PM

Success! I took out one of the RAM sticks during install, and everything worked fine. It's now running with both installed.

I do have one more issue, now. I've installed the OS on the 74Gb Raptor, and have the two 150Gb Raptors set up in a RAID 0 config, with the 500Gb Seagate along for the ride. Vista is recognizing these drives, as well as the RAID array, with no problems, but I'm unsure how to set them up to be used as named drives (i.e. my C: drive).

I can see them in the hardware profiles manager, and everything seems to be working fine, but I can't figure out how to add them to be able to use.

Again, thanks for all the help, and hopefully someone can help with this problem too!

Supergrover April 8, 2008 08:58 PM

I thinking you mean initialize right, that case go here.

click on "disk 0" or what everyone you are initializing.

iv:xx April 8, 2008 09:19 PM

Yup, that's what I was getting at. Everything seems to be recognized, and I'm formatting as we speak. I don't have to do anything special to the RAID 0 array, correct? It's reading it as one drive, and that's exactly what I'm looking for.

PS: Vista hates 4gb of memory, apparently. I had to remove one of the sticks again, as it kept BSoD'ing on me. How relaxed is "relaxed" when we're talking timings? Highest advertised is 5-5-5-15 for my OCZ sticks.

enaberif April 9, 2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iv:xx (Post 50731)
Yup, that's what I was getting at. Everything seems to be recognized, and I'm formatting as we speak. I don't have to do anything special to the RAID 0 array, correct? It's reading it as one drive, and that's exactly what I'm looking for.

PS: Vista hates 4gb of memory, apparently. I had to remove one of the sticks again, as it kept BSoD'ing on me. How relaxed is "relaxed" when we're talking timings? Highest advertised is 5-5-5-15 for my OCZ sticks.

Would you please read my posts.

Did you install the patch