Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2008, 07:54 AM
Rookie

Default Computer won't post

Hi
I am a student and i had to ship my computer from my school in newfyland to my home in alberta. It was running perfectly fine here but when my brother set it up yesterday its stuck on the CODE INIT, and taking out the battery to clear the CMOS isn't working. So is there something I am forgetting to tell him or is it broken.
Extreme Striker mobo with 1504 bios
e6850 @3.0
2 gigs cruxial ballistix
Antec Truepower trio 650 watts
Also i put everything back into stock voltages etc before sending it home so my brother wouldn't have to deal with any overclocking issues. thanks
Old April 8, 2008, 08:16 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

If the extreme striker is anything like my Crosshair from the same Asus series (Republic of gamers) then you need to press the LED Light button on the I/O panel on the rear of the motherboard otherwise the system won't turn on. It's basically made that way so with the system off you can turn on those pretty leds and see around the inside of your case without a light on, but those same LEDs have to be OFF or else the system won't post AT ALL. It's weird, I know, but I think it's something to do with making sure the system has enough juice to startup. Lemme know if it helps!

PS: Just double-checked the Asus website and it is Exactly the same as my Crosshair. Press that "LED SW" button and try to post it again!
Old April 9, 2008, 07:48 AM
Rookie

That switch justs seems to cut the power from the board all together. And unfortunately didn't work.
Old April 9, 2008, 08:13 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Were the LEDs on or off when you tried to post?
Old April 9, 2008, 09:49 PM
Rookie

Fans turn on the leds turn on but it wont pass CODE INIT/CPU INITon the back.
It's bothering me because everything worked fine before i sent it, so i think something might be busted.
Old April 10, 2008, 03:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Double check your PSU connections (especially the 8 pin CPU power).

You can also have a look through here.... http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ery-guide.html .

If all else fails, you're going to need to get your hands on another cpu to verify if that's the culprit.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 10, 2008, 06:22 PM
Rookie

Yeah that cord is still firmly in there. : (
I think I am gona have to wait till i get home so i can test the cpu on another mobo.
Old April 10, 2008, 07:59 PM
Top Prospect

What I'd suggest you also try is re-wiring everything maybe theres too much stress on one of the rails...
Old April 13, 2008, 09:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Alberta is a big place, if your near Red Deer, I have a mobo you can test that cpu in. It will help you narrow down your trouble shooting time.
Old April 13, 2008, 11:34 AM
Rookie

Yeah I live in Calgary so I might take you up on that offer, in the next week or so. I get back to alberta on thurs.