Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2008, 12:20 PM
Rookie

Default CPU Temp, a problem?

Well, im pretty new here..Just joined a few days ago after reading a lot of reviews from SKYMtl at Ncix.com, I ended up finding this place.. Some of you may have seen one or two of my post in the hockey section :P (go Habs!) Soo...Anyway here's the story.

I recently did a small upgrade to my system.. The CPU temperature seems a bit high , and I've been having trouble to overclock it moderately and to keep some stability. Here's the specs:

Intel Xeon E3110 3.0ghz (Running at 3.3 right now)
(Basically same as E8400 from what I read, ordered it due to low avaibility of e8400)
Asus P5N32E-Sli Plus
2 x 8800 GTS 512
4x 1gb Mushkin DDR2 800 set to 4-4-4-12 2t
Mushkin XP-650AP (650w as the model implies)

I've got a few other things running on it, a raptor sata drive, a second hd and a dvd burner and the system should be well cooled... I use the Noctua NH-U12P in push-pull configuration with a second noctua fan.. and the Case itself is a CM-690..it comes with 3 decent 120mm fans..and I installed a 80mm fan blowing from the back of the motherboard at the place right behind the CPU.

So at idle in windows with nothing running and no overclock the system hangs between 44-45 ...Which doesnt seem so bad.. I overclocked the system a bit to 3.3ghz (unlinked so the memory is still at 800mhz).. at Idle in Windows it went up to 47 celcius and as we speak im running Prime95 in loop (6th loop so far) and the system went up to 60c.

I used a E6420 2.13 OCed to 3.0ghz before this upgrade and it ran much cooler.. Which seems a bit weird... The main things I changed are the CPU cooler ( had an arctic freezer pro 7 but the fan got a bit noisy on it over time..) the case and the cpu itself of course... I tried doing a moderate OC of the new cpu to about 3.6ghz but it wouldnt even post and the bios did some weird stuff, kept setting back the memory to locked instead of unlocked and what not... Although its true that I also updated the bios before the upgrade so it would support the new CPU..so thats another thing that changed :/.

The motherboard Temp according to asus probe is 33... I put a small 40mm fan on the northbridge because it runs pretty hot..but that was the exact same temp with my previous cpu and the OC from 2.13 to 3.0..heck, actually I used to push it higher than that without much problem... Which makes me wonder where the problem with pushing my new cpu past 3.3 comes from =/...

I checked if the Noctua was properly installed, removed it and reinstalled it...using Thermal paste from Noctua that comes with it and the quantity seems just fine... i suppose the bottom of the heatsink could possibly use a bit of polishing? Lapping or whatever you call it in english (Sorry not my native language)........

Sooo... Im a bit at a loss here, are those temp for such a cpu normal? It doesnt seem so to me, but while I have experience im far from an expert as well....

Any and all advices, ideas, comments are welcome :)

Sorry for the long post and rambling :P

G.
Old April 3, 2008, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

60 is not an unsafe temperature, and it is within the acceptable load range (albeit at the top end), I would expect the Noctua to keep it a little vcooler, although the temp readings are not always to be trusted.

My guess is that it's the memory giving you instability- lots of opportunity for that when running four sticks- try running it with different combos of only two sticks and see if your overclock improves- you could also try loosenign the timings a bit- you might then be able to unlock and put the speed up a bit without as much instability

Last edited by Babrbarossa; April 3, 2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old April 3, 2008, 02:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Check the flatness of your HSF contact point and the integrated heat spreader with a razor blade. If you can see gaps, you may need to lap as suggested.

My E8400 idles at 32-33, load at 47-48 at 4.0 GHz. I think you should be under that with your better cooler and lower clock speeds.

I'd also suggest reseating using MX-2 or some other thermal paste. I'm a little skeptical of OEM pastes.

Last edited by SugarJ; April 3, 2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old April 3, 2008, 03:37 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Temps are too high for the speed - like Sugar mentionned, check for surface flatness.
Old April 3, 2008, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Temps are very high actually. A CM690 has great airlfow....that is if you did some work on cabling. Idling you should be around 30C and load temps should be at 45C when running at those speeds! What are your voltages on? Are they set to "auto"? If so you might want to manually set them. Also the thermal paste that came with the heatsink....was that the original Noctua paste? If so...GREAT...if not...you might want to take your heatsink off, check it for flatness (Which should be okay since Noctua products are normally pretty good) clean it up properly and put a SMALL amount of either the Noctua paste or Arctic Cooling MX-2. Carefully reseat your heatsink....and enjoy! Then re-check your temps and let us know!

Ps. Download Everest & CoreTemp and compare those two temperatures. Do NOT believe Asus Probe!
Old April 3, 2008, 05:53 PM
MVP
F@H

What program are you using to see your temps. The E3110 is the same as the E8400.

There is much discussion on if the current versions of core temp and many other programs are accurate. It is an ongoing discussion with these cores.

With coretemp my E8400 idle is 43deg but if I use Realtemp it says 33Deg. I am using a Themalrght ultra 120 with a Noctua NF-P12 and expect it should read lower temps.

Not sure what to trust.
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old April 4, 2008, 02:11 AM
Top Prospect

I run a Q6600 with a Noctua, but with just a single fan, (stock clock), and I never get close to 60c...even encoding 3 or four video files at the same time. I did lap the Noctua, but not the IHS. My top temps through Core Temp are 55c under heavy load, and I idle around 33-35,
depending on how fast I am typing :-) Cashe is right though I have read other reports of inconsistencies with the temp readings on these.
Nice chip by the way. It should be running slightly lower voltages and temps compared to the e8000 series.
Old April 4, 2008, 04:57 AM
Rookie

*** Thanks for all the replies I only had time to read the replies real quick since I've been busy yesterday and this morning so If I missed something in the posts sorry :P..

The thermal paste im using is the NT-H1 from Noctua which has been reviewed here, it came with the HSF..I planned on getting something else but the reviews were quite positive, so I gave it a try....(Also there isnt too much of it, I took care to put just the right amount of thermal paste) As for the memory 4x1gb... I know it can cause more stress on the motherboard, but it wouldnt cause the higher temp other than to the northbridge.. (And I used those 4 same sticks with the previous cpu anyhow)... The case has been arranged as well as I can so all the cabling is nearly hidden and out of the way so it doesnt block the airflow..and looks pretty :P...

I guess I'll download some utilities to monitor the temp beside asus probe :P.. Didnt know they analysed anything, just figuered they read what the bios read from the cpu itself.... and check for settings in the bios... Although I've set most of the stuff manually..and I've been pretty conservative about the settings and timings seeing out I havent been able to get it to do what I want with this new CPU... Oh yeah btw, the Bios itself indicates 47-48 as the idle temp.

If those new apps dont cut it, I suppose i'll check the flatness then be reading some and try my hand at laping the heatsink ... I got one of the first generation of NH-U12P I think, mine didnt come with anything to protect the base..Apparently the new ones all come with it (as it is stated they should on the website&manual..) the surface looked just a wee bit scratched, but I admit I didnt check if it was completly even and flat even though it seemed to be to the eye. The scratches werent deep ones at all, bareled seemed as if something had brushed against it. But anyhow, at the point im at I might as well learn to lap it properly :P.

Thanks a lot for all the replies once again :)

Last edited by Galaad97; April 4, 2008 at 08:04 AM.