Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2012, 10:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default How to thoroughly test a PSU?

I have the chance to get a Antec HCP-850 PSU from a friend because he doesn't trust it even though its a new "refurbished" unit from Antec.
He tested it with a CoolerMaster PSU tester and the volts were all fine within spec, powers on and off fine, makes a clickly noise though when it does. Had it even tested at a PC shop, they said it passed "their" tests whatever they were, the tech did not say how he tested it.
Anyhow, the reason he doesn't trust it is because he put in his PC and it booted up fine but when he powered off his PC and tried to turn it back on, it didnt work... motherboard died/was killed. He said that motherboard was fine until this new PSU and so he doesn't trust it even though its "passed" all these tests. The tech even said he wouldn't trust it if that was the story but as far he could tell, it was a good PSU with good results on their tests...

Sorry long post but I want to nab this PSU for a good price since he wants to get rid of it but I am super worried it might kill my system I plan to use it in when I build it. I don't need another dead motherboard.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1. You can't thoroughly test a PSU without thousands of dollars of equipment. At the bare minimum you'd need a quality multimeter, an oscilloscope, and a ~1kW dummy load.

2. It's usually ripple that kills components and that won't kill a system instantly.

3. Delta's QC is ridiculously good, it's highly improbable that your friend has a system killing PSU. (though not impossible)

4. Anything that could've killed a system instantly probably would've been picked up by the cheap PSU tester or the PC shop. (assuming they did do the tests)

Chances are it's just your friend being stubborn and refusing to admit user error or something else simply went wrong. Highly unlikely that there's actually anything wrong with the PSU. If it were me I would just test it with an inexpensive motherboard beforehand.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Trust Issues

Ok so I guess using the CoolerMaster PSu tester is good enough. I lack the $$$$ to get that kinda testing equipment.
Thing is he said his PC was working fine then switched to this b/c it was "better". Turned it on and everything was fine...He said once he turned it off and came back to turn it back on and his system didn't turn back on. Took it to his PC shop, said motherboard is dead.
Being an Antec HCP-850, it was rated and reviewed fairly well but it is also a "refurbished' unit. Im on the fence.. its a great deal but not if it takes out my system next. I doubt it was user error, I go to him when I have PC problems and I'm a novice but how easy can it be to screw up installing a PSU onto the components?
I guess the question is, would anyone trust a PSU that was in a system that died after it was installed?
Old May 7, 2012, 11:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Simple answer is no, I wouldn't trust it on my main build. I have a bench full of spare parts that I'd use to test it before I put it in my gamer, but not everyone has the pile of junk I do.