Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2012, 11:31 PM
Rookie

Question New gpu old psu.

Hey Guys, i just bought and installed a 550ti and got the supplementary power for the 6pin from the molex adapter, everything was going good until i fired up BF:BC2 since my old gpu couldnt play it and about an hour in my psu which is a mios 500W model 400U starts stinking like its burning. Do i need to just buy a new psu? is it supposed to feel hot on the side? any help would be appreciated as i wanna be ready for D3 hence the new GPU. thanks in advance.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

According to NVidia the 550Ti only needs a 400W PSU, but it could be that using the molex to 6 pin is stressing the PSU. I would suggest a good quality replacement, just for peace of mind.

Seasonic S12II 520W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80+ Bronze 6+8PIN PCI-E W/ 120MM Fan - Seasonic Electronics - S12II 520

Seasonic has a good rep, and the PSU has a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin, in case you decide to upgrade later. Not a bad price, I bet you can find lower, but quality is important too.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop

Last edited by Dwayne; May 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: can't spell worth shite
Old May 6, 2012, 01:12 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

might as well go for a higher wattage psu while you're at it so you are set for future upgrades, the corsair psus are fairly good, just dont get the crappy ones off ebay/stock psus from futureshop computers
Old May 6, 2012, 02:10 AM
Rookie

Yeah, I guess i should suck it up and grab a new psu, that seasonic looks nice, good price too. I don't want to get too carried away with this rig as i plan on building a new one eventually. Anyways i'm looking at all those wires and the thought of installing one myselfe seems a little daunting, is it difficult to do? I would like to do it myselfe but i don't wanna blow up my little modest rig because i hooked the wrong wire up to something. Thanks again for the info.
Old May 6, 2012, 03:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It's actually fairly hard to mess up a PSU installation in terms of what wires go where, since the connector types are quite distinct. With this PSU not being modular, you don't have to worry about plugging in the wrong thing, really. You'd pretty much have to break a connector to get it into an incompatible slot, and other than maybe the eight-pin EPS connector for the motherboard and the eight-pin PCI-e connector for the graphics card the power cable types are completely different.

Computer power connectors clip in firmly, but don't require a lot of force to insert. Don't force a connection, and you'll be okay.

For more information, you might find this primer on power connector types helpful. All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors

Last edited by Galcobar; May 6, 2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old May 6, 2012, 05:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Three options here..

If your planning on still using your current build in some way when you upgrade then get a cheaper psu (still quality but not enough watts for a modern rig)

If your scraping or disassembling it then get a 650 watt PSU now and it will do the new rig when you get it and save you buying a second PSU

option 3 is buy a quality 650-750 watt psu now and when your getting rid of your old rig, get a cheap psu to put in it and move the better one to the new build..
Old May 6, 2012, 03:01 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the help guys, these forums are awesome. Dzzope, probably gonna go option A, I'll still probably use this as a media server to stream through the PS3 when I retire her. I'll do up the psu myselfe when I grab it in the next week or so since it sounds fairly straight forward. Thanks again for all the help.
Old May 7, 2012, 02:44 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

If it is old like you said, the cause me be that is full of dust, and when the PSU i stressed some dusty component gets extra hot.
Try burning some dust and see if it smells the same ;P
Either way, get a new psu, go for something like a 650w :)
Old May 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
Rookie

Just ordered Seasonic S12II 620W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80+ Bronze 6+8PIN PCI-E W/ 120MM Fan only 10$ more than the 520W Dwayne linked. Tried letting her run to burn off the dust but the plasticy gross smell still arose, I really hope she doesn't pull this crap with D3 or I'll have to extend my last hurrah of D2 while I wait for the new PSU.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goredevil View Post
Hey Guys, i just bought and installed a 550ti and got the supplementary power for the 6pin from the molex adapter, everything was going good until i fired up BF:BC2 since my old gpu couldnt play it and about an hour in my psu which is a mios 500W model 400U starts stinking like its burning. Do i need to just buy a new psu? is it supposed to feel hot on the side? any help would be appreciated as i wanna be ready for D3 hence the new GPU. thanks in advance.
The brand matters more than the wattage.