Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2012, 04:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Was there an update to the Nic's drivers?
Have you tried removing the drivers and re-installing them.. (without windows doing it automatically as it may be a corrupt file, cccleaner to wipe the drivers)

Maybe try an older version or something (the ones on the driver disk that came with the mobo (generally not wanted but it's a possibility))

Did you try the wireless while the on-board was still active or with it disabled/unplugged? (silly question I know, but windows will use the first active connection even if the other is better etc.)
Old May 6, 2012, 10:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impressive View Post
Ok, Well I've narrowed it down to strictly my copy of 'Windows 7 64bit Home'. Reinstalling the same copy of windows on a new hard drive didn't change anything, but installing Ubuntu or Vista worked fine. Actually, better than fine, especially with the Linux install.
So, now the question is, "what do I do about Windows7"?
I've tried lots of things, and none of them have worked so far. I will keep searching and let you guys know.
Hopefully it will help you out too Dwayne.

Ciao for now...
My copy of Windows 7 Home premium is a 3 license upgrade that I bought from Costco. My main computer has one license and the netbook has another. I don't think my problem is tied to the licence but it could be. Occasionally I see that "not a genuine" thingy on the desktop, but then it goes away. When I check my license (right click on "Computer" and go properties) it says genuine.

Go figure. I also rolled back the drivers to a few different version from 2009, 2010, and 2011 without change.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old May 6, 2012, 08:27 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hi again Dwayne. I too own a 3 install version. I called Microsoft Support this morning, let them take over my computer, and watched them do all of the same steps that I've already tried. They couldn't figure it out, and I tried talking them into giving me a different product I.D. to try, but they didn't go for that. Right now, I'm running Windows Vista without any problems, and I think I'm gonna stick with it until Windows 8 is released.

To infinity, and beyond...
Old May 10, 2012, 08:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I just did a clean install as well, so far, no joy. I am stumped. I can't get a copy of Ubuntu to start on this computer though. I d/l'ed an iso and put it both on a disk and a USB, no luck with start up. I did try a PCI NIC too, disabled the on board, no luck. I am now going to run the updates, update all drivers and the OS and then see where I stand, but I hold out no hope. Maybe I'll d/l Windows 8 and try that... can't hurt.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Update for Impressive... just installed Windows 8 dual boot and my problems are gone, in Windows 8. Still there in Windows 7 though. Not sure how some reminant could remain (not possible as I un raid'ed two drives so there was nothing left on the drives to save). Anyway, there it is, Windows 7 no good, Windows 8 full speed.
Old May 15, 2012, 02:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Download an MSDN SP1 Version of your os. There are legit links out there. See if that works. If it does you can activate it using your existing key.