Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2012, 04:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Can't pull a VALID IP address from my router.

So I finally got around to unpacking my home server (for those of you out of the loop I moved last friday) and found that it will not take an IP address. It was originally hooked up to the router via a switch. So I decided to hardwire it to the router. No IP address being assigned (aka Class C, keep getting some 169 IP address instead of 192.xxx).

Booted up command window, ipconfig works just fine, however ipconfig /release or renew will not. Can't remember the error but it wouldn't do anything.

Tried enabling/disabling the NIC to see if it had settings cached. No luck, hell I even manually gave it a valid IP address for my Class C home network, still no dice. I've even tried a PCI-E NIC and still won't pull a valid IP address.

I can't remember the exact error it was throwing at me as well, but it was saying diagnostic service cannot be launched/run or some crap.

Anyone have any idea other then nuke and pave to get around this? I know it has to be the OS at the moment seeing as both the onboard and the pci-e NICs are having the same issues.
Old May 2, 2012, 05:26 AM
Allstar

When you boot up the server does it say that some services were unable to start? without an error what you are describing sounds like a service that has hung. lazy fix could be first different cable(known to work with say your desktop) and then if that doesn't work delete the NIC from the device panel in safe mode and reboot, see if it comes back on its own. Past that I think we kind of need the error your getting ;-)
Old May 2, 2012, 09:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've tried different cables, I've deleted the NIC drivers and reinstalled them, and I haven't gotten a service error until I try to run the diagnostic service.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:06 AM
Allstar

It used to matter quite a bit that you did it in safe mode for NICs, dono if thats still the case I just do it out of habit now. System logs would be the next place I would look then if you are not getting prompts. Start with the logs at startup and scroll through for any errors(hung services, random application and system errors). Do you have a spare NIC to throw in, or just try plugging into a different port on the router. MS is bad at plainly throwing an error in your face, or even when it does it might not be right one that is causing the problem, but the system logs are a good place to start.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Stated, at least I think I did, that I tried a spare pci-e NIC and it has the same issues. Also have tried different ports on the router and switch.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:47 AM
Allstar

Sorry my brain skipped over that part, tried a TCP stack reset? I have had this work in the past for things similar to this. There is another step past this that takes an hour or so to replace core system files vs a reinstall.

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Old May 2, 2012, 01:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Unfortunately didn't work

ipconfig /release all comes up with this lovely error

"The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation"

Same goes with
ipconfig /renew
Old May 2, 2012, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try "netsh winsock reset" and "netsh i i r rl.txt" at command prompt with elevated privileges.

I'm assuming you're other devices are getting IPs?
Old May 2, 2012, 02:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'll try that shortly.

All other devices are obtaining IPs, my PC, fiancee's (which goes through the switch), the htpc (which goes through the switch), even my playbook via Wifi.
Old May 2, 2012, 04:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

uninstall and re-install the device drivers