Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2012, 05:23 PM
Top Prospect

Default OCZ GameXstream flickering LEDs

I bought a OCZ gameXstream second hand off someone. I'm using it on a new build of mine. When everything is hooked up (double checked all connections) and I press power, all the LEDs (on the board and the two case fans) flicker.

It's kind of like power is surging through the board. The two case fans, video card fan and the processor fan do not move.

Power supply fan does not spin either.

Is this a fixable problem or is the power supply toast?
Old May 1, 2012, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Best thing to do is try with a known good psu. I just had a psu die on me not too long ago and the troubleshooting to determine what the problem was tricky. I did not know for sure what the problem was until I obtained my new psu, plugged it in and everything started working again. I found a guide on the Asus forum for checking major components out. Board power up at all? Any beep codes?

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- ****************************Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards *****
Old May 1, 2012, 07:18 PM
Top Prospect

I'm going to have to get a hold of a new power supply. I tried testing this with just one case fan and it wouldn't even power that fan on.

I think it's toast.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Your post isn't clear if you jumpered the PSU, still had it plugged into the mobo, or just had the fan plugged in without anything else. If the first option, then yes your PSU is probably done (and given it's an OCZ I'm not surprised). If the second, your problem could still easily lie in the mobo. If the third, the PSU won't run without being plugged into a motherboard or having the appropriate wires jumpered to fool it into thinking it's plugged in.

Overclockers Hardware - How To: Test PSU Voltages
Old May 1, 2012, 10:58 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
Your post isn't clear if you jumpered the PSU, still had it plugged into the mobo, or just had the fan plugged in without anything else. If the first option, then yes your PSU is probably done (and given it's an OCZ I'm not surprised). If the second, your problem could still easily lie in the mobo. If the third, the PSU won't run without being plugged into a motherboard or having the appropriate wires jumpered to fool it into thinking it's plugged in.

Overclockers Hardware - How To: Test PSU Voltages
Your first option is the one I tried.