Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 25, 2012, 03:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
Yeah try swappin out the ram and psu. Are you overclocking?? you really should't need to adjust any voltages except for maybe the DRAM voltage for what your memory says on the sticker (usually 1.5 V)

Is your cpu still running at 80+ degrees during the stress test? It really shouldn;t be at stock speed and voltage. If you are running too hot, the computer can shut off or restart in order to protect itself - that happened to me once becasue I didnt have my cooler seated properly on the cpu socket.
No I'm not overclocking I'm just trying to get this system stable on stock cooler. Yeah the temps are still 80C on stress test.
Old April 25, 2012, 03:49 PM
Rookie

Ok I swapped the ram. The new build ran memetest for 2:30 hours without crashing. I will boot in windows and start another stress test.

The new ram ran 1:30 hours of prime no problem in my machine... If the new ram works fine in my PC and my ram runs fine on the new build what is the problem???
Old April 25, 2012, 06:33 PM
Rookie

The new build ran prime with RAM from another computer for 2:30 hours without crashing. I stopped the test because the temps are too high.

So, for some reason the new build does not like the new RAM... any suggestions on tweak to make the new RAM work? So far I have tried using the XMP settings (1.5v) and also setting the voltage manually to 1.6v without success (prime restarts the computer after 10-20 min).

I will add a CPU cooler to this build because it's running too hot. Any suggestions? Would this or this do the job?

Thanks!
Old April 26, 2012, 04:27 AM
Rookie

Ok I tried running the new RAM in the new build at 1333 and it ran memtest for more then 9 hours. So the problem is that it does not like running at 1600 on this machine. CPU-Z tells me that to run at 1600 only 1.5v is required. What should I try?

Last edited by McDuff; April 26, 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old April 26, 2012, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
The new build ran prime with RAM from another computer for 2:30 hours without crashing. I stopped the test because the temps are too high.

So, for some reason the new build does not like the new RAM... any suggestions on tweak to make the new RAM work? So far I have tried using the XMP settings (1.5v) and also setting the voltage manually to 1.6v without success (prime restarts the computer after 10-20 min).

I will add a CPU cooler to this build because it's running too hot. Any suggestions? Would this or this do the job?

Thanks!
The H212 is a great bang for the buck cooler. It will be adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
Ok I tried running the new RAM in the new build at 1333 and it ran memtest for more then 9 hours. So the problem is that it does not like running at 1600 on this machine. CPU-Z tells me that to run at 1600 only 1.5v is required. What should I try?
it seems odd that the ram won't run at 1600mhz. Your ram is rated for 1600 right? and you have the timings set properly in the bios? probably 9-9-9-24. I don't use xmp profiles in the bios for ram. just set everything to auto or manually set them to what the ram sticker says.
Do you want to provide a screenshot of your bios settings?
Old April 26, 2012, 10:54 AM
Rookie

I opened a new thread on the GSkill forum. Someone suggested that I set everything to auto except for: RAM voltage to 1.5v and the timings to 10-10-10-30-2 (what the sticker indicates).

So far, memtest has been running for 2h 30m without errors/crashes! When it completes its second pass, I will install the H212 I just picked up and run prime95.

I will let you know how it turns out!

Here are screenshots of my BIOS:

Thanks!
Old April 26, 2012, 11:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I don't see anything out of the ordinary with those screenshots. So long as the 10 10 10 30 2 is what it says on the ram itself then that is what you have to have in bios
Old April 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
Rookie

Default Solved

Those settings did not work with prime (reboot after 20 m) so I gave up and set them to 9-9-9-24-2 1.5v. I'm pretty sure my friend will not care if a video conversion takes 1% longer.

Prime has been running for 1h 40m without issues so far. The Hyper 212 is insane compared to stock. I'm getting 54C under full load rather than almost 90C. I don't understand how Intel can possibly provide such garbage coolers!

Thank you!

Last edited by McDuff; April 26, 2012 at 02:36 PM.

Tags
new build random reboot