Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2012, 07:17 PM
Rookie

Unhappy Frustrating problem with newly built PC, Shuts off!

Hey guys, thank you for your time.. I would appreciate any help with my issue.

First let me start by providing the spec:

i7 2700k
Corsair ZMS3 8gb 1600mhz
GTX 680
1000W PSU
ASUS p8z68 Deluxe/Gen3 Mobo
Win 7 64bit
Antec 900 2 case

So, I received my computer last Friday and decided to test it by playing MW2 campaign.
After a couple of missions sudden power off, PC shut off with no blue screen. Starts
back up right away. I thought it was a temp issue but the CPU never got above 60 C,
Motherboard @ 30C, GPU @ ~60C. Power supply is barely warm too. So that rules out the
temperature. I tried updating to newest version of BIOS, didn't help. Got the latest drivers
for everything, still same issue. It happens at random , sometimes it would shut off few
minutes within the game, sometimes i can play for hours until shut off, i tried running around
spinning around throwing smoke grenades everywhere and no shut off, other times I'm just
running with nothing going on and Bam! shut off. MW2 barely even stresses the CPU/GPU, CPU
at 48C max, GPU @ 66% usage max with low temp. I downloaded MSI Afterburner and ran
the Demo test, GPU at 98% usage @ 78C max, CPU at 100% with 66C max. Again sometimes
I can run it for hours, other times not. I started to think that it could be RAM.

I took the PC back to the store where it was assembled, and they are checking into the issue
but I don't think they will find anything because its hard to reproduce the shut off, because
of the randomness.

Please if anyone could give me any suggestion I would appreciate it! THANK YOU
Old April 16, 2012, 08:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

what brand / model PSU are you running? if temps all appear to be good, and it's hard to replicate, that's the first place I'd be looking at.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 17, 2012, 03:26 AM
Rookie

Ultra X3 1000W Modular Power supply
Old April 17, 2012, 11:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pycckue View Post
Hey guys, thank you for your time.. I would appreciate any help with my issue.

First let me start by providing the spec:

i7 2700k
Corsair ZMS3 8gb 1600mhz
GTX 680
1000W PSU
ASUS p8z68 Deluxe/Gen3 Mobo
Win 7 64bit
Antec 900 2 case

So, I received my computer last Friday and decided to test it by playing MW2 campaign.
After a couple of missions sudden power off, PC shut off with no blue screen. Starts
back up right away. I thought it was a temp issue but the CPU never got above 60 C,
Motherboard @ 30C, GPU @ ~60C. Power supply is barely warm too. So that rules out the
temperature. I tried updating to newest version of BIOS, didn't help. Got the latest drivers
for everything, still same issue. It happens at random , sometimes it would shut off few
minutes within the game, sometimes i can play for hours until shut off, i tried running around
spinning around throwing smoke grenades everywhere and no shut off, other times I'm just
running with nothing going on and Bam! shut off. MW2 barely even stresses the CPU/GPU, CPU
at 48C max, GPU @ 66% usage max with low temp. I downloaded MSI Afterburner and ran
the Demo test, GPU at 98% usage @ 78C max, CPU at 100% with 66C max. Again sometimes
I can run it for hours, other times not. I started to think that it could be RAM.

I took the PC back to the store where it was assembled, and they are checking into the issue
but I don't think they will find anything because its hard to reproduce the shut off, because
of the randomness.

Please if anyone could give me any suggestion I would appreciate it! THANK YOU

Sounds like a fairly common problem. I would say your memory is not on the QVL of your mobo but i haven't checked.
Old April 17, 2012, 11:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think you mean XMS3 not ZMS3 as ZMS3 does not exist.

XMS3 is not ont the QVL for your mobo. It is the cause (in my mind). I have seen this problem 2 times this year alone in friends' rigs.

Go to asus' site and print out the QVL before you go shopping for memory, or check it out first at home.

Make sure you call the PC store and tell them the memory is incompatible and do not listen to them try and counter it. Compatible memory = memory on the QVL. All other memory has a significant risk to be buggy, with weird problems like those you are having. Uncompatible memory = not on QVL.
Old April 17, 2012, 12:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
I think you mean XMS3 not ZMS3 as ZMS3 does not exist.

XMS3 is not ont the QVL for your mobo. It is the cause (in my mind). I have seen this problem 2 times this year alone in friends' rigs.

Go to asus' site and print out the QVL before you go shopping for memory, or check it out first at home.

Make sure you call the PC store and tell them the memory is incompatible and do not listen to them try and counter it. Compatible memory = memory on the QVL. All other memory has a significant risk to be buggy, with weird problems like those you are having. Uncompatible memory = not on QVL.

Thanks alot for your time! The pc store just ordered some ram off the listed ones for my motherboard.
They ran cpu/gpu/ram tests, as well as mw2 and they did not get the pc to shut off once.

It may be the solution. I will pick it up in a couple hours and get back to the thread with the outcome!
Old April 17, 2012, 04:40 PM
Rookie

Just got my PC back, with the new ram, formated PC, reinstalled all the drivers,
installed MW2, started playing campaign, got to the shooting range (1st pre mission), was running
the course and BAM! Shut off!

My morale is down like never before!

At the store, they said they ran CPU/GPU/RAM tests with no problems, as well as
MW2, i came back from the store and played MW2 and it didn't shut off.

Also I noticed that after installing MSI Afterburner the shut offs slowed down.
Perhaps it's the drivers?! Im on my way to get battlefield 3 , to try that out
and see what happens. My brother played MW2 with no problems at all and he
has the same motherboard as me but with a different weaker GPU/CPU.

Suggestions?

Also does anyone know perhaps my directx needs to get updated? Or maybe perhaps
i need older versions of directx 9 10 to be able to have no problems?
Old April 17, 2012, 04:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did they test using your PSU, or did they only test the mobo/gpu/mem?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 17, 2012, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Because it is so random I would guess its power related. Could be the power supply, dirty power in your house (fluctuating voltages), or your motherboard. The easiest way to prove/disprove my opinion is to run other games and see what happens. If its only in certain games it could be driver related (though I don't think so). If it is power related it would shut down regardless of what game you are playing.

I know you already swapped memory, but personally I never look at the QVL for a motherboard and have never had a problem. For the most part ram is ram with incompatibilities only coming up once in a while (I have never had one). I wouldn't have mentioned that as a possible problem, though it could have been a bad stick of memory (not compatibility issue, just a stick of ram with a problem).
Old April 17, 2012, 06:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Did they test using your PSU, or did they only test the mobo/gpu/mem?
They tested using my psu, everything is just the way it came.

I have a new piece of info: Cant say for sure yet, but I decided to install directx off the MW2 cd, and ran MW2 Campaign without shut offs, I'm in a process of installing BF3, will get back to the thread once i have played it. Maybe MSI Kombustor installed all the directx drivers from 9 10 and 11 versions, therefore shut offs slowed down.

I dont know, any suggestions at this point?

I mean they stress tested it all night, no shutoffs.

There has to be someone else that had the same issue! Hello!!!! Someone?!?!

Tags
crash , crashes , pc problem , shut off