Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2012, 07:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Don't know where a certain front-panel case cable is connected

Guys!!!!!!

I know this might be a very stupid question for seasoned pc vets like most people in the forum but just bear with me. I am about to finish setting up my new gaming rig but I hit a bit of a snaggle. I know it's probably something rather simple but I am stuck. I am using an EZCOOL-A180 gaming case and there is a cable that I jut don't know where to put. My motherboard is a rather simple Asus P867-M model and The cable's plastic connector is a black square thing and looks a bit like a USB connector only thinner and has the following markings from top to bottom: "VCC, D-,D+ and "GND" "GND" at the bottom.

Is this a USB cable, and if it is how does it go into my MB's regular regular USB sockets? The other two front-panel USB cables are clearly marked as such and gave me no confusion whatsoever. Or is this a cable for some other motherboard connection that I don't know about?

Any help on this would be appreciated

thanks guys
Old April 12, 2012, 07:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That is for your cases USB ports I do believe, they plug in on the bottom right. Blue plugs in this picture
Redirect Notice
Old April 12, 2012, 08:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks man but the thing is.....

My case has two other USB cables that are marked as such. This one has nothing saying that it is. I have indeed plugged my other two clearly marked USB cables into the blue connectors you mentioned but this one cable does not say "USB" like the others.

Thanks anyway for the input dude. I appreciate it
Old April 12, 2012, 08:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

could be firewire, is there a rather thick ground wire in them?
Old April 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

no not really.....At first I thought they could be audio cables, but the case already comes with two audio-connection cables. One for HD audio and the other for the AC97 configuration. I already pluggled the HD audio one into my motherboard's front-panel audio connector (10-1 pin AAFP).

Any more suggestions guys?
Old April 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

take a pic of the plug? or where the other end of MB plug going to ? HDD led
Old April 12, 2012, 09:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Here is a pic of what the connector looks like. I'm sorry if it looks a little fuzzy
Attached Images

Old April 12, 2012, 10:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Can you trace it to the other end, figure out what on the case it's connected to?

Five-pin, with one blank in the middle, is generally the power/reset switch connector. However, looking at the photo it would appear there's four pins in sequence. That suggests case/system warning speaker connector, but the standard pinning for that is +5V, GND, GND, Speaker. Does the case have an intrusion sensor mentioned as a feature?
Old April 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Actually the other end of the cable connects to a little circuit board that connects to the front panel USB ports. But like I said before, the two other cables that come with it are clearly marked "USB" at the plastic ends. This is the one cable that does not have any specific markings other than those that you see on the picture.
Old April 12, 2012, 11:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Oh...also the blank orifice one is not in the middle but at the bottom with the second "GND" is located

Tags
cables , gaming cases