Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Don't know where a certain front-panel case cable is connected (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/53314-dont-know-where-certain-front-panel-case-cable-connected.html)

sankukai April 12, 2012 07:54 PM

Don't know where a certain front-panel case cable is connected

Guys!!!!!!

I know this might be a very stupid question for seasoned pc vets like most people in the forum but just bear with me. I am about to finish setting up my new gaming rig but I hit a bit of a snaggle. I know it's probably something rather simple but I am stuck:doh:. I am using an EZCOOL-A180 gaming case and there is a cable that I jut don't know where to put. My motherboard is a rather simple Asus P867-M model and The cable's plastic connector is a black square thing and looks a bit like a USB connector only thinner and has the following markings from top to bottom: "VCC, D-,D+ and "GND" "GND" at the bottom.

Is this a USB cable, and if it is how does it go into my MB's regular regular USB sockets? The other two front-panel USB cables are clearly marked as such and gave me no confusion whatsoever. Or is this a cable for some other motherboard connection that I don't know about?

Any help on this would be appreciated

thanks guys

Adzsask April 12, 2012 07:58 PM

That is for your cases USB ports I do believe, they plug in on the bottom right. Blue plugs in this picture
Redirect Notice

sankukai April 12, 2012 08:07 PM

Thanks man but the thing is.....

My case has two other USB cables that are marked as such. This one has nothing saying that it is. I have indeed plugged my other two clearly marked USB cables into the blue connectors you mentioned but this one cable does not say "USB" like the others.

Thanks anyway for the input dude. I appreciate it

Master_Shake_ April 12, 2012 08:38 PM

could be firewire, is there a rather thick ground wire in them?

sankukai April 12, 2012 08:51 PM

no not really.....At first I thought they could be audio cables, but the case already comes with two audio-connection cables. One for HD audio and the other for the AC97 configuration. I already pluggled the HD audio one into my motherboard's front-panel audio connector (10-1 pin AAFP).

Any more suggestions guys?

KaptCrunch April 12, 2012 09:10 PM

take a pic of the plug? or where the other end of MB plug going to ? HDD led

sankukai April 12, 2012 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of what the connector looks like. I'm sorry if it looks a little fuzzy

Galcobar April 12, 2012 10:45 PM

Can you trace it to the other end, figure out what on the case it's connected to?

Five-pin, with one blank in the middle, is generally the power/reset switch connector. However, looking at the photo it would appear there's four pins in sequence. That suggests case/system warning speaker connector, but the standard pinning for that is +5V, GND, GND, Speaker. Does the case have an intrusion sensor mentioned as a feature?

sankukai April 12, 2012 11:19 PM

Actually the other end of the cable connects to a little circuit board that connects to the front panel USB ports. But like I said before, the two other cables that come with it are clearly marked "USB" at the plastic ends. This is the one cable that does not have any specific markings other than those that you see on the picture.

sankukai April 12, 2012 11:21 PM

Oh...also the blank orifice one is not in the middle but at the bottom with the second "GND" is located